Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 5s or Ultra 2 (for 160 degree detection)

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Blacktip75
Guide
Guide

There is an offer making the Ultra 2 cheaper than the pro 5 for me, I already have the 4k plan, however...

The camera location will be set to 160 degree angle and I am not sure if the detection will be better on the pro 5 vs the ultra 2. I find that my 2 old Ultra's have quite poor animal detection missing a lot of 'action' vs my front door camera for example. Does the Pro 5 make sense if it is more expensive than the ultra 2?

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Blacktip75,

Ultra 2 may have slightly better motion detection than the Pro 5S 2K due to it's dual motion sensors. However, animals in particular can sometimes be difficult to capture, depending on the environment, size of the animal, distance etc. and your experience with the original Ultra camera could be due to that or the motion sensitivity settings.

Given you're already able to take advantage of 4K, you may want to consider Ultra 2 simply for the higher resolution.

It sounds like you may already have a Base Station or a SmartHub but it may be worth noting that Pro 5S 2K cameras do not require a Base Station or SmartHub and can be connected directly to your home network. You might find this beneficial if this camera needs to be placed in a location that may be close to an access point or router but isn't close to a Base Station or SmartHub.

Both cameras will satisfy the 160 degree requirement, with the Ultra 2 boasting a FoV of up to 180 degrees.

https://kb.arlo.com/000055577/What-is-my-Arlo-camera-s-field-of-view-and-how-do-I-change-it

JamesC

Blacktip75
Guide
Guide

Thanks, got the Ultra 2, now just trying to figure out how to cancel the trial to avoid losing videos when it ends 🙂 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no need to cancel the trial. Do you currently have a subscription? Which one?  If one of the new plans (Secure or Secure Plus) I would expect the camera to automatically be added to your subscription. An older plan would require you to go to Settings, Subscription, Manage Cameras to move the camera to your subscription. You should be able to cancel the trial there now, too, if desired.

Since you must have a base or hub, set up local recordings which would save everything regardless of subscription status.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation