Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Btrotta
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the silicone skins for my Ultra 2s, but since I have put them on the night video is horrible. The video is heavily vignetted and very low quality.
Prior to installing the covers, the night video was acceptable.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did I waste money on the silicone skins or is there a work around that will give me good quality video?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Btrotta wrote:
I purchased the silicone skins for my Ultra 2s, but since I have put them on the night video is horrible. The video is heavily vignetted and very low quality.
Prior to installing the covers, the night video was acceptable.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did I waste money on the silicone skins or is there a work around that will give me good quality video?

Were these Arlo skins, or a third party?  

Does your skin have edges that extend beyond the face of the camera.

The camera uses IR LEDs to illuminate the scene for Nightvision, and some skins had long enough edges to reflect some of that IR light back to the camera lens.  That created glare that results in a hazy picture.

The Arlo VMA4200B skin had this problem, as well as some Wasserstein skins.  You might have gotten old inventory.  I guess you could try trimming the edges if you have one of these.

FWIW, Arlo's current approach is to sell black and camo camera shells (instead of skins).

Btrotta
Aspirant
Aspirant
They're the Wasserstein ones with the little hood. Guess I will be doing some surgery to them or returning them.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may be able to pull the skins back a bit to eliminate the glaare. If that doesn't work, surgery would be required.

ddilm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Anyone painted the cover with Krylon spray paint to match the trim or tree the camera is mounted?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've painted a camera cover black to match the lamp post it was installed in.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation