One of three Ultra 2 cameras burns through batteries 4-5 times faster

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Bkhancock
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 ultra 2 cameras. One burns through batteries 4 to 5 times faster than the other 2. All the settings are the same.

8 REPLIES 8
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Bkhancock wrote:
I have 3 ultra 2 cameras. One burns through batteries 4 to 5 times faster than the other 2. All the settings are the same.

Does it have more activity then the other two? That would make a difference. Even with Activity Zones it records everything and the server will discard those recordings. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bkhancock wrote:

Try swapping it with one of the other two, and see if the problem moves with the camera, or stays with the location.

Bkhancock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the feedback.  I have swapped cameras, the camera that burns through batteries is already down 5% in less than an hour. Activity zones are roughly the same size.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bkhancock wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.  I have swapped cameras, the camera that burns through batteries is already down 5% in less than an hour. Activity zones are roughly the same size.

I'd let it wait longer if the battery was fully charged.  Maybe let it go down to 50%.

If it still drains too fast, then I suggest swapping the battery with another camera (to isolated if the issue is the battery or the camera).

Bkhancock
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a four camera system from Costco. I have had issues with 2 of the 4 Ultra 2 cameras.  The first camera would not sync with the base so I returned it to Costco.  The second one burns through a batteries in 24 hours (I have moved it and tried multiple batteries). Costco replaced the camera that would not sync with a PRO 4.  Wow.  PRO 4 picture is as good and battery is 3X bigger.  Installed PRO 4 yesterday and battery is at 98%. Will replace all the Ultra 2s with PRO 4s.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Bkhancock,

Try reading this article to learn how to extend the battery life: How can I extend my Arlo camera's battery life?

Also try swapping batteries with your camera to see if it may be a battery issue or a camera issue.

Bkhancock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brand new system installed a month ago.  Tried multiple batteries, moving cameras and wasted a lot of time with a camera that wont sync and a second that burns through batteries.  Not sure why Ultra batteries are a third the size of the PRO 4s.  Given the video quality differences and battery size, PRO 4 is a much better choice for my needs.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bkhancock wrote:

Not sure why Ultra batteries are a third the size of the PRO 4s. 

They're the same size.  If your Pro 4s have much longer batteries, you must have purchased the Pro 4 XL.

You can get the XL upgrade kit (contains the larger battery and housing) to upgrade the Ultras.  VMA5410-10000S

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation