Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

All events are logged correctly with a time stamp and most recordings I can play back, but not all:

In ~50% of cases there is an event in local storage library and “download” offered, but after download only an empty rectangular presented instead of a thumbnail with an image. There is no error message.

In  ~50% of cases after download there is a thumbnail with an image and playback possible.

Please note, that I posted  the same question earlier and market it as “solved”, after  uninstalling and reinstalling the Arlo App on iPhoneX solved the issue for about 2 weeks. Now I’m posting again the same issue, as I could not find a way to re-activate a thread marked as “solved”. 

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

weft,

What devices are you using for playback? Do you experience the same behavior when using a different device for playback?

JamesC

weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

For playback from microSDXC in VBM5000r5 I'm using: 1) iPhoneX/iOS14.3/Arlo App 2.22.6 on local wifi and 2) iMaxc/macOS 10.15.7. All events are recorded in  micro SDXC as expected and can be played back at 100% when microSDXC moved from VBM5000r5 to iMac. Therefore video file corruption can be excluded. However on iPhoneX only ~50% of recorded events present as a thumbnail image and can be played back. The other ~50%  present as an empty container with a correct time stamp, playback command is ignored but no error message displayed. On advice of Arlo support I uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo App on iPhoneX which solved the issue (I was able to playback 100% of locally recorded events) for ~2 weeks, but now I'm back to the original issue.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I would be just guessing here but since they are viewable elsewhere and worked for two weeks it shouldn't be the card or app.  This makes me wonder, depending on how many you view, have you tried clearing the downloads in the app to be sure it hasn't filled up and then tried viewing the others ?

weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good tip, LandJS, thx. After clearing the downloads in the Arlo App (iPhoneX) I can view most (definitely more than 50%) local recordings (from microSDXC) with an exception of one time-stamped event I'm still wondering about. Your suggestion improved my experience and therefore a big "like" from me. I hesitate to call it a solution yet because of this one event within 2 days I cannot view on iPhioneX.

weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

After clearing the downloads in the Arlo App (iPhoneX) I could view all new local recordings (from microSDXC) in last 10 days. Therefore LandJS's suggestion is a good work around which solves the issue I brought up. I hesitate to call it a "solution", because IMO buffers should be managed in software internally without a need to bother the user.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds more like an iOS thing rather than Arlo.

weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't see any evidence in this thread which would allow the conclusion it's an iOS issue. If there is such evidence, could you please spell it out? I don't see such issue in the Eufy App + camera system I've been running in parallel to Arlo App  on the same iPhoneX, over the same wifi playing back  recordings stored in the local SD card in the Eufy base. If Eufy App can display all locally stored recordings without a need to manually clear buffers, why cannot Arlo App? If it's an iOS issue, why would it not show in Eufy App?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Can't say for sure because I haven't investigated iphone capabilities but if there is a storage full point there could easily be a difference between the Arlo and Eufy.  The download storage size would be controlled by the op system and storage size of each phone and given the file size difference between Arlo 4K and Eufy 1080/2K depending on system would require a much higher storage capacity for Arlo than for Eufy.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation