Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Onesilyolgal
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just got this security set up. I have been reading reviews and details for a couple months. Arlo was supposed to be the best. Man am I so disappointed. 1 out of the 4 cameras will record and notify. The other 3 do nothing but show me live. The picture quality is awful. I could barely make myself out just 10 feet away...even when it said it was 4k. I then got on to research and this appears to be a problem with everyone that has this system. In reviews before I bought this system I didn't see any of these issues...if I had I certainly wouldn't spend 1000 in a system. Then to top it off, if you want the zoning and other perks you have to pay $15 a month PER camera. I'm so upset at this. Thankfully I can still return this.
5 REPLIES 5
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you made sure to have notifications active/checked under your Modes > Rules for the other 3 cameras?  May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

Onesilyolgal
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think I found the answer. It seems that the cameras that are pointing outside (but are inside) do not register motion. Does this mean that if I want to have these cameras detect motion that the only way they will do it is if they are mounted outside? The view through the windows are great and I have blinds down so it is not picking up reflection. Is there a solution for this? TIA
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes they have a PIR sensor so can not detect motion through a window. The Q series is different and can. Someone will probably chime in on the difference with details between the two better then I can explain. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Glass blocks the IR needed for the PIR (passive IR) sensors to work. Thus, the cameras can't be looking through windows to detect. The Q cameras use pixel-change detection so work through glass.

A possibility is to use an outdoor camera to detect motion, record, and also trigger an indoor camera to record (cross-triggering). This can be accomplished in your modes and rules. However, the outdoor camera must have a view that is useful for that indoor camera to be recording - if it's pointed in a totally different direction, there's little value.

Onesilyolgal
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. That defeats my whole purpose of not wanting to have to hang cameras outside. I've always had my cameras inside facing out. This is a great solution, but it's just having to double my cameras. I'll just have to buck up and hang the two I need to record in front and back. Thanks.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation