Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Ultra 2 battery lasts less than one week outside in New York. Is this due to a defective battery?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
garve10394
Follower
Follower

My Ultra 2 battery lasts less than one week outside in New York. Is this due to a defective battery?

Also I need to buy some additional batteries and the are are a lot of manufacturers, which one is the best?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that it's a bad battery but it's more likely that it's something about the camera location and/or usage. Signal strength/quality can cause the camera to eat the battery by trying to maintain the connection - move the camera closer to the hub or router to see if that makes a difference. It can also be caused by lots of recordings and/or live viewing. Battery life is generally best when the total number of minutes of both these is kept below 5 minutes per day on average.

The "best" battery is the Arlo one. Like many 3rd party batteries, you take a chance on their quality. My old laptop can't get OEM batteries anymore and the various replacements I've bought over time have varied widely in usefulness.

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got less than 2 weeks, maybe closer to 1 week*, with my Arlo Ultra 2's batteries as well.  During that time, It's been in the teens and 20s here (F).

How frequently you watch the cameras or they sense motion would also affect battery life.  On average, I would say I was getting 8 alerts/auto-recordings a day; and I probably watched live an hour/day or so.

*   Oddly enough, the camera shut itself off, reported the battery was at 0%, and said I needed to recharge it.  I connected the outdoor charging cable and the battery instantly turned back on and reported 56% (and continued to function).  So I don't know if it was a bug that caused the camera to shut off, or if the reported battery % was inaccurate.  (I'm guessing the former.)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation