Magnetic Mounts

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BonnieD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our previous Arlo cameras were magnetic.  We loved them because we moved them around a lot and just stuck them to anything metal.  

We now need new cameras (they are close to 10 years old). 

I understand the magnets are now in the mounts and not the camera. 

Question is do the magnetic mounts have to be screwed into place or can we move the mounts like we used to move the cameras? 

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BonnieD wrote:

Question is do the magnetic mounts have to be screwed into place or can we move the mounts like we used to move the cameras? 

Here's a photo showing the back of both mounts (new one on top):

IMG_1447.jpeg

As you can see, both mounts slide over a single screw, so that is similar.  Some of my old mounts have sticky tape on the back, so they could just be stuck onto the surface.  Some of the newer ones (like the one in this photo) do not.

The new mount also has a small plastic tab that fits under the screw.

IMG_1448.png

This slides into the slot to stabilize the mount (keeping it from rotating).  

There are two things to be aware of if you want to quickly relocate the new mount.  One is that there is only one plastic tab per mount, and since that is under the screw, you'd have to remove the screw to get it.  The other is that the plastic flange on the back of the new mount is kind of fragile - so you do have to be careful when lifting the mount off the screw, and when sliding it back on.

So you probably will need more magnetic mounts than you had before (and maybe just leave up some inexpensive screw mounts in some of the locations where you use the camera).

BonnieD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephan.  That is what I figured.  Our old cameras are magnetic so we had no mounts.  Just stuck them on a metal fence posts, gutters etc.  Really disappointed in the new setup.  We move our cameras often to keep thieves from knowing where they are.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation