Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do I capture or download a segment of CVR footage? IOW if I have a five minute segment from three days ago that I would like to isolate and download, how do I do that? 

Can I get that segment in 4K? I still find it funny that I pay for a 4K plan, I can watch live at 4K, triggered events record at 4K, but CVR footage is at some resolution a major step down from 4K.

7 REPLIES 7
dcfox1
Master
Master

You can't download CVR footage. The motion recordings would be in the library though.  Yes the CVR is only 1080 HD. 

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick answer.

This is interesting. So If I have something that happened within the field of view of a camera that did not trigger an event but was captured on the CVR, I cannot do anything with that? I can't install "gates" and somehow get a downloadable clip. I think that limitation severely curtails the usefulness of the CVR package which of course is an additional expense. If I can't recall it and save it, I am not sure what the usefulness is. I suppose that it provides a little more context but even that context is useless.

The downgrade of the camera fidelity is unbelievably annoying. Again, as the CVR functionality is not a free service, if you are paying, you should maintain the video quality of the 4K camera regardless of the increased storage requirements. And as mentioned before, you should be able to download segments.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I did see somewhere here to try screen capture software but I have no knowledge about that. Mabey try a search in the forums. 

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have an android phone which has screen recording built-in, this works perfectly for this, if you have an older phone you can still download an app for screen recording
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've used a computer for this, too. I start the software to have it ready and then start reviewing the CVR stream in full screen mode for the greatest detail. At the appropriate time, start the recording and stop/save when done. Of course, this is all at 1x since there's no fast forward.

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok. So this is a real weakness of the CVR system. Combined with the fact that you cannot change the playback speed the CVR functionality is "meh" at best.

In order for the CVR functionality to approach being worth paying for you need to be able to adjust playback speed, capture segments for export, and really, review at 4K as well.

If the bandwidth requirements are too high to do that on the cloud, then it should allow you to do it locally on the smarthub. Otherwise, CVR as it is should simply be an included feature within the basic monthly package.

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Uggghhh...not sure why I did not know this earlier.

Continuous video recording (CVR) is an optional feature available on Arlo Ultra, Pro 2, Q, Q Plus, and Baby cameras. With CVR activated on one of your cameras, you can record all the action 24/7. CVR captures everything in the background, and you can rewind to catch anything you missed.

CVR-capable cameras record continuously, in addition to the recordings based on the modes and rules that you set in the Arlo app.

Note: Arlo does not currently support downloading CVR videos; you can only watch them from the cloud. CVR is not available for Arlo Pro or Arlo Wire-Free cameras. CVR recordings are in 1080p.

What is continuous video recording (CVR) and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation