Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How Many Cameras Will ArloHub Support Before Disconnecting Occurs?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RGrele
Tutor
Tutor

I have 8 on one 5000 model hub (4 Essential XL's, 4 Pro 2 4K's).

I'm currently down to only 7 because when I add an 8th, one of the others will disconnect. Seems to affect one of the 4 Essential XL's, but once in a while it's the Pro 2 4K's.

Not on the subscription plan. Don't know if that would make any difference with the disconnecting bug?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RGrele wrote:

Not on the subscription plan. Don't know if that would make any difference with the disconnecting bug?

It shouldn't.

@RGrele wrote:

I'm currently down to only 7 because when I add an 8th, one of the others will disconnect. Seems to affect one of the 4 Essential XL's, but once in a while it's the Pro 2 4K's.

Is the camera just going off-line?  Does it happen immediately after you add the 8th camera?  Or are you saying the the connection is unstable?  

There is no such thing as a Pro 2 4K, so it would be useful to know the correct model.  If you open the housing and remove the battery, there is a label inside.  Alternatively, if you go into the support area of the app, select the camera, and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see the model in the product field.

Whatever the model, it would be useful to know if removing the battery and reinserting it brings the camera back on line (obviously doesn't apply to the Essentials).

RGrele
Tutor
Tutor

My Bad. They are Ultra 2 4K's. 

The disconnecting has gotten worse lately. I had 7 connected last night. This morning one was disconnected. And it's one that's been doing that a lot lately. Yes, a camera will suddenly and for no apparent reason, just disconnect. But it has also happened when I remove the disconnected camera and reconnect, only to have another camera immediately disconnect. I have the 5000 hub (ethernet cable connected) in another room so that my T-Mobile Wi-Fi gateway won't interfere. Batteries are fully charged. Firmware updated. All but one show 2 or more bars signal strength. The only one with one bar is not more than 30 feet away, but is outside covering the front door, so there are 3 walls between it and the hub...  I'll just have to keep trouble shooting. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it possible that the T-Mobile gateway drops connections to save bandwidth?

RGrele
Tutor
Tutor

At this point, anything is possible. I'll try rebooting the T-Mobile gateway again. 

I've even tried changing the orientation of the ArloHub a few times. But no camera is more than 100 feet away with 3 walls max in between. And most are between 20 and 30 feet away.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Is it possible that the T-Mobile gateway drops connections to save bandwidth?

I didn't see that when I tested the gateway (note I was testing the first cylindrical one).

But there is only one connection here (base to cloud), so if all cameras would go off line together if that were the cause.

@RGrele - 100 feet could be marginal.  That path to the camera also matters, as sometimes there is something that might block the signal.  I have a pipe chase and a chimney in my home that both block the wifi (I work around them with my Orbi mesh).  Stove vents, refrigerators, etc on the signal path might also factor in.

If your wifi router is fairly close to the base, you can try running the ookla app (speedtest) on your phone when near the camera.  Make sure mobile data is off, and that you are connected to your home wifi.  The upload bandwidth needs to be a couple of megabits at each location.  What's needed depends on the camera model, but generally if you have at least 3 megabits upload you should be ok.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation