Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Help Needed: False Alarm Issue with Paid Subscription & Unhelpful Support Response

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ArloDuser
Follower
Follower

Hello everyone,

I come to you looking for solutions to a specific problem with my Arlo Ultra camera that's impacting its performance and my peace of mind, all without compromising on one of its key features.

**The Core Issue:**

My camera persistently misidentifies benign movements such as grass swaying in the wind and shadows moving with the sun as animal activity, triggering numerous false alarms. This is particularly challenging because the smart AI and motion alert feature are among the main reasons I chose Arlo, given their advertising around sophisticated detection capabilities.

**Current Stance:**

I'm seeking a workaround or a fix that doesn't involve disabling motion alerts entirely notr adjustmentsof motion detection as its alreadysetto the lowest possible while beingfunctional. Turning off such a crucial feature defeats the purpose of having a smart security camera and negates the value of the AI technology Arlo promotes.

**Past Attempts & Support Experience:**

I've reached out to Arlo support, hoping for a resolution, especially considering I am under a paid subscription. However, the response was less than satisfactory, with an emphasis on self-help options and no direct support offered, leaving me in a frustrating predicament.

"After reviewing your account, it

appears that you are not entitled

to live agent support. However,

you can utilize any of the self-

support options available to you

including this chat bot, the Arlo

Community, and the Arlo support

site where you can find how-to

articles and videos"

#WorstCustomerSupport

**Request for Community Insight:**

- Has anyone else faced this specific issue, and how did you address it?

- Are there settings or adjustments within the Arlo app that could refine detection accuracy?

- Any tips or tricks that have worked for you in reducing false alerts without losing the functionality of motion detection?

Your advice and shared experiences would be incredibly valuable to me right now. I'm looking for practical solutions that allow me to utilize my Arlo Ultra to its full potential, in line with the smart security features it's supposed to offer.

Thank you so much for your time and help. This community's collective knowledge and support are what makes these challenges more manageable.

Warm regards,

Screenshot_20240403_151553_Arlo Secure.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloDuser wrote:

I've reached out to Arlo support, hoping for a resolution, especially considering I am under a paid subscription. However, the response was less than satisfactory, with an emphasis on self-help options and no direct support offered, leaving me in a frustrating predicament.

"After reviewing your account, it

appears that you are not entitled

to live agent support.

Since you do have a subscription, you are entitled to live agent support.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS )  so they can look into this.

@ArloDuser wrote:

My camera persistently misidentifies benign movements such as grass swaying in the wind and shadows moving with the sun as animal activity, triggering numerous false alarms. This is particularly challenging because the smart AI and motion alert feature are among the main reasons I chose Arlo, given their advertising around sophisticated detection capabilities.

If the unwanted motion is at the bottom of the field of view, you could try inverting the cameras - taking advantage of the fact that they are more sensitive to motion at the bottom of the field of view than the top.  (There is a setting to flip the image, so it remains right side up).

Activity zones can also help reduce the unwanted alerts.

It sounds like there might be something static in the field of view that the AI is consistently identifying as animal.  You could try making some tests that systematically shift the field of view, in order to help you figure out where (and what) that object is.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ArloDuser 

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have tried so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation