Feature Request: foliage, shadows, robot lawnmower

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
financialfoodie
Aspirant
Aspirant

When the Arlo AI determines what movement is a person, vehicle, animal, etc. is it at all possible for the system to distinguish movement of trees, bushes, plants, and their shadows due to wind and prevent those from triggering activity notifications?

On a related note, is it possible for the system to be able to distinguish and ignore movement of a specific object, namely a robot lawnmower? My cameras (the Arlo Doorbell in particular, but also Arlo Ultra 2s) have routinely notified me of detecting a vehicle when in fact it's a robot lawnmower moving across the yard. My temporary solution is to disable Doorbell notifications during Standby mode (when I'm home and it's daylight out, which is when the lawnmower runs) or to specify activity zones that exclude the yard where the mower runs.

Alternatively, would it be possible to set specific activity zones to only alert in Arm Home and Arm Away modes and not in Standby mode?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Moving vegetation will likely always be an issue for consumer-grade hardware/software - way too many variations and causes of the IR reflections. Shadows don't cause triggers but reflected IR from the sun does. Eliminating the trees, etc. from view is the best solution but not always possible. Reducing motion detection can also work well since even turning it down to 0 doesn't turn it off - you just need to test.

The lawnmower can't be isolated as a trigger.  Activity zones are global so all modes get them (they're set up in the camera settings, not modes and rules) but I suppose this could be changed. @JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN , can this suggestion be passed on for consideration?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate the community’s contribution. I will provide this information to the appropriate team for future consideration. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation