Failed upgrades on ultra 2

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Firebrand
Tutor
Tutor

I have ultra 2 currently on 1.070.52.1. I get messages saying it needs a firmware update to 1.070.53.2

they are connected to a vmb5000 (has local storage and streaming capabilities). It was successfully upgraded to firmware 1.24.0.1

no subscription for the last 2 years. 

The system was working fine, it was streaming to the Arlo app, it was streaming live via iOS HomeKit, it was able to playback local record when I was on my local WiFi. 

after upgrading the firmware on the base station the following issues appeared. 

1) I can no longer stream live via the Arlo app. On the dashboard it shows the blurred image with the red and white exclamation mark. When I click into the actual device it says “you ve found a premium feature”

2) I can no longer access recordings.  It says I have found a premium feature. 

3) removing the SD card to see if anything is saved to the card, it appears that no videos have been recorded since I updated the base station. 

4) when I try to update the firmware on the cameras to the next version. It says it is updating and I get a momentary blue/orange flash on the devices and it then stops. firmware version never changes and it still says it needs to update to the newest. Assuming a failed upgrade. 

4) odd behavior is the streaming via iOS HomeKit still seems to work for the moment. 

Steps that I’ve used to try and resolve. 

1) rebooted base station etc. no effect. 

2) unmounted cameras, pulled the batteries, rebooted, and tried firmware upgrade again. No change in behavior. 

Any ideas on what to do next? My assumption is that I need to get the cameras on the newest firmware but it keeps failing the upgrade. 

support desk (after conning them into helping bc I don’t have a subscription…. Even though this is a problem of their own making) only told me to remove batteries and retry

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you see "Library" as an menu choice in the app?  Or do you see "Feed"?

If you see "Feed", how long has that been the case?

Firebrand
Tutor
Tutor

I see “ Feed”. It’s been there since I did the firmware update on the base station. Probably four or five days ago.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Firebrand wrote:

I see “ Feed”. It’s been there since I did the firmware update on the base station. Probably four or five days ago.

Then to see your local recordings you now need to 

1. go to the devices page
  2. select the base station
  3. select "storage settings"

They aren't in the "Feed".

Firebrand
Tutor
Tutor

That’s interesting. In the past that you could access it from the camera device page and by clicking on the Small SD icon. If I have to access it through the base station in the storage sub menus then that’s annoying but thank you for the workaround.

however, that still does it address by primary issues.

1. I cannot live stream images from the camera to the Arlo app

2. the cameras are not initiating any new recordings for approximately 4 to 5 days now which is when I upgraded the station

3. I cannot complete the firmware upgrades on the cameras

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

The firmware upgrade might kick in once you restart the SmartHub and/or cameras.

Your Arlo experience has changed to Feed, which means you have to set up the arm/disarm process from scratch. Not an easy thing I'm afraid.

And you're right: accessing the local storage on the high is now much more difficult than before.

Firebrand
Tutor
Tutor

Is there a different way to restart the cameras/hub than what I mentioned? I’ve already restarted them

by pulling out the batteries and letting them reset. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Firebrand wrote:

If I have to access it through the base station in the storage sub menus then that’s annoying but thank you for the workaround.

Unfortunately not a workaround.  It's the only way to see the local recordings with the new interface.

Firebrand
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks…Still…. Not the issue. 

I can’t access LIVE feeds in the Arlo app. Does anyone have a recommendation to get the app working again so I can see the live video feed in the app?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Firebrand wrote:

Is there a different way to restart the cameras/hub than what I mentioned? I’ve already restarted them

by pulling out the batteries and letting them reset. 

That is not a "reset", it is just rebooting the cameras.

It is possible to do a hardware reset.  To do this you need to 

• remove the camera from the account
  • open the housing
  • press the button inside until the camera LED flashes amber (about 15 seconds)
  • add the camera back to the account.

Try this with one camera, and see if it helps.

A more tedious approach is to remove all the cameras and the smarthub from the account, reset the smarthub with a paperclip, and then add everything back.  I don't recommend doing that now, as it can be difficult to get everything back into the account.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation