Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cloud Sub ran out -> Inserted SD Card into Base Station -> Can't set Activity Zones without Smart?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

People,

Is setting the Activity Zones dependent on having a Cloud Account?  If so, why?

Thanks,

Phil.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@philip_rhoades wrote:

Is setting the Activity Zones dependent on having a Cloud Account?  If so, why?

If the camera is running on battery, then Activity Zones do require a subscription.  

As far as why:  This is about power use.  It takes quite of bit of power to run the algorithm in the camera.  So when running on battery, the activity zones are implemented in the Arlo cloud.  All motion is streamed to the cloud, and the cloud supresses video that is outside the zone.

Some of the cameras can process the activity zones in the camera (with no subscription) when AC powered, bur not all.

philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

Hmm . . 

I am more inclined to believe it is a deliberate crippling of the SD Card option to encourage people to go the paid-for cloud route . .

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@philip_rhoades wrote:

I am more inclined to believe it is a deliberate crippling of the SD Card option to encourage people to go the paid-for cloud route . .

I think if that were the case, they would have disabled the local activity zones when AC powered as well.  

Though of course they do want people to get paid subscriptions.  So believe what you will.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation