Can you have 2 Hubs with Ultra 2 ?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Gabbytony
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am going to purchase the 4-pack Ultra 2.  It comes with one hub.  Can I add another hub at the other end of my house to connect some of my cameras to?  I have internet connections on both ends of my home through Ecobee routers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The VMB5000 has dual band WiFi, and if the cameras are close enough they will use 5 gHz.  It also uses a microSD card for storage.

The VMB4540 only has 2.4 gHz WiFi, and uses USB storage.  In most situations the VMB4540 will work just as well.  5 gHz has less range than 2.4 gHz, so it is only useful if the cameras are close to the base.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gabbytony wrote:

I am going to purchase the 4-pack Ultra 2.  It comes with one hub.  Can I add another hub at the other end of my house to connect some of my cameras to?  

Yes, as long as you can get ethernet to both hubs.  Make sure you get a compatible one (ideally another smarthub).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

Gabbytony
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it best to get the VMB 5000 or will the VMB 4540 work just as well?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The VMB5000 has dual band WiFi, and if the cameras are close enough they will use 5 gHz.  It also uses a microSD card for storage.

The VMB4540 only has 2.4 gHz WiFi, and uses USB storage.  In most situations the VMB4540 will work just as well.  5 gHz has less range than 2.4 gHz, so it is only useful if the cameras are close to the base.

Gabbytony
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much.   That answers all my questions.  I am ordering my cameras today.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation