Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
hevaK
Star
Star

I have several ubiquiti access points throughout the house to provide solid WiFi coverage to all corners.  I recently bought the Costco 4-pack of Arlo Ultra2 cameras with Smarthub.  My question is can I just have the Smarthub on my network to store local video recordings but connect the Arlo cameras directly my WiFi?  I’m not sure how good the range is on the Smarthub.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have an Ultra 2 but AFAIK they only connect to a hub, not direct to WiFi. There are Arlo cameras that can use your WiFi such as the Pro 4 as well as others.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have an Ultra 2 but AFAIK they only connect to a hub, not direct to WiFi. There are Arlo cameras that can use your WiFi such as the Pro 4 as well as others.

hevaK
Star
Star

Are you sure about this?  It doesn't sound right.  Why would the product page have all the WiFi specs on there if you couldn't connect it to your WiFi network?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hevaK,

This is correct. Arlo Ultra 2 requires a Base Station or SmartHub. For more information on Arlo Ultra 2 cameras, take a look here: Arlo Ultra 2 FAQ

JamesC

hevaK
Star
Star

Ok...again, that page makes references to WiFi, which is a *standard*.  If the cameras cannot connect to existing WiFi networks, this needs to be made abundantly clear.  It currently is not clear *at all*.  Nowhere on the product pages or FAQs does it say a smarthub is required or that the Ultra2 cannot connect to existing WiFi networks.

Can you elaborate on why a smarthub is required at all?  What about for applications like mine when the existing WiFi network has greater reach than the smarthub?  I don't want to buy another piece of hardware when there are plenty of APs able to service the cameras, given their tech specs indicate they work on WiFi.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation