Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras showing offline after 30 minutes viewing. No play button to restart.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
markos11
Tutor
Tutor

When viewing my cameras live, arlo's imposed 30 minute time limit for watching cameras that I own (do not want, or need arlo to be concerned for my bandwidth use or battery state - my cameras are wired) now results in camera showing offline without a play button to restart.  This requires restarting app to continue to view my cameras.  This happens on two separate android devices using latest arlo android app.   Happens with main account and friend account.  Devices are always on same network as cameras.  Happens with my 2 ultra2 and wired doorbell.  All cameras and vmb5000 are up to date with firmware.  There have been no changes to my network or my isp.  I have restarted, removed, and re-added with no change.

I can say in my opinion the hype when researching arlo does not match the poor performance of the arlo products I own. 

And arlo wants customers to trust their new security systems?

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The 30 min time limited has been hard coded in the SW for many years now... Only exception I know of is the Arlo Baby cam.

Not much to be done.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
markos11
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your comment, however it doesn't address the OFFLINE issue.

Requiring app restart to restart live viewing has not been hardcoded has it?  I no longer have a play button to restart watching live video, all cams show OFFLINE after 30 minutes.  This happens on two different tablets, both on the same network as cameras (base station). This is recent.

I am aware of the 30 minute time limit imposed by arlo. 

arlo claims it is so I do not forget to stop live streaming which will use up all of my bandwidth and camera battery. 

My bandwidth is not arlo's problem (I have unlimited).  arlo being arrogant, not giving camera owner the choice.

My camera battery has never been a problem, my cameras are all wired. 

The 30 minute time limit has not been strictly enforced in the past and I have been able to watch 2 cameras live for more than 12 hours at a time without negatively affecting my batteries.

If arlo cameras are smart they should be able to:

determine if cameras are wired or on battery power and battery charge level.

determine if cameras (base station) are on the same network as device using arlo app.

*With this information arlo system could determine if arlo's 30 minute excuses are valid.

My guess is the imposed limit is not to "help" camera owners but to cut arlo's costs. Why else limit usability?

Bandwidth, electricity - probably adds up if thousands of people want to watch the cameras they own. 

Watching MY cameras live on the same network should not not require extra bandwidth with a well designed system - bad excuse for time limiting.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation