Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Battery going from 100% to zero in a matter of hours.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Daniel1478
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a Arlo Ultra 2 camera and returned the first one after it suddenly stopped working. The replacement camera arrived and seemed to be working fine however I left on vacation and that evening the camera went offline and remained dead until I returned. I discovered the battery was completely drained to zero. The odd thing was I checked the battery just before I left and it was at 100%. Additionally my camera is powered by an Arlo solar panel. Living in Southern California, we have plenty of clear sunny skies so that's not an issue. After returning I charged the camera then returned it to its mount only to have it do the same thing a week or two later. Since then it's happened at least 3 times. I check the battery level every day and it's always at 100% until it's suddenly at zero. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Of note, I also have an Arlo Pro 4 camera on a solar panel running as well and it has never discharged to zero.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Daniel1478 wrote:

I purchased a Arlo Ultra 2 camera and returned the first one after it suddenly stopped working. The replacement camera arrived and seemed to be working fine however I left on vacation and that evening the camera went offline and remained dead until I returned. I discovered the battery was completely drained to zero. The odd thing was I checked the battery just before I left and it was at 100%. Additionally my camera is powered by an Arlo solar panel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Of note, I also have an Arlo Pro 4 camera on a solar panel running as well and it has never discharged to zero.

I suggest swapping the two cameras (which would rule out the panel).

It would also be useful to disconnect the panel, and see if the battery charge level is more stable.  I suspect this is a firmware bug in the camera (as I have seen some other reports of this issue), so not using the panel for a while might be a good temporary work-around.

Daniel1478
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did swap out the panels and had the same issue. Funnily enough it seems the battery drains from 100% to dead only on a Friday. I mean the last three times this happened was while I was a work, usually around 3:00 pm on Friday which makes me think this is indeed a firmware bug. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation