Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Batteries do not accommodate shallow maintenance charging so eventually stop charging?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

I have four Ultra 2 cameras with XL batteries and for at least one I’m considering Arlo’s plug in charger w/25’ charging cable. However, while shopping on Amazon, I read “that Arlo batteries as designed do not accommodate shallow maintenance charging so eventually they stop charging”.  Could be whoever made the statement on Amazon’s Q&A was incorrect.  But since this is above my pay grade I was wondering if anyone on this board could shed some light on the topic. Specifically, can Arlo batteries be constantly connected to a charger without damage and will they continue to charge up indefinitely.  Since I also have two locations suitable for solar charging, I would ask the same question regarding a permanent solar panel charging connection. 

Thanks in advance….

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS;

Batteries charged in the camera actually will only charge to approx 80% ( but they will read as fully charged ) 

This is so the batteries will not be overcharged if left on power all the time.

( to get a true 100%, they must be charged in an external charge pack )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

I believe it is misinformation.  There are other review comments there (including one answered by Arlo) that says you can leave the charger connected all the time.  FWIW, I've done that with a Pro 3 for a couple of years now, and haven't had any issues. 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe it is misinformation.  There are other review comments there (including one answered by Arlo) that says you can leave the charger connected all the time.  FWIW, I've done that with a Pro 3 for a couple of years now, and haven't had any issues. 

DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

That’s good to hear.  Was not looking forward to pulling out the ladder to charge up the camera.  Amazon Q & A comment sounded a bit strange, that’s why I decided to check with the Arlo community. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS;

Batteries charged in the camera actually will only charge to approx 80% ( but they will read as fully charged ) 

This is so the batteries will not be overcharged if left on power all the time.

( to get a true 100%, they must be charged in an external charge pack )

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation