Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo vs Ring

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

We have a range of different ARLO cameras (17 in total).

Two of them, monitoring our LakeFront under ARLO shows them to be ARLO Pro 2 cameras.   I just came

back from the lake and saw that both of those cameras were RINGs.

Now under my ARLO smart, I see both of those cameras and see their info.

The serial number for one is A2R1997BC2B46 and hardware being H6.

Now, my question is that I am planning to move those cameras,  does the ARLO Smart function allow me to configure and change those RING  cameras?  Or is it what it was when those cameras where originally configured?   Have no idea when that was done or who did it.   I assume there is a RING feature like ARLO Smart.

So, how does ARLO Smart show those devices and allows me to view their cloud  videos?

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I've looked up the serial numbers for the Beach and Marina cameras you linked above, these are Arlo Pro 2 cameras, not Ring cameras.

Ring cameras are impossible to link with an Arlo account and the account with the Beach and Marina Arlo Pro 2 cameras you've mentioned above doesn't appear to show anything out of the ordinary.

The Ring cameras you've pictured above must be associated with a Ring account.

JamesC

19 REPLIES 19
Dannybear
Master
Master
Can you further describe the reason you believe the cameras have changed?
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
I wasnt sure what camera we did have. With. ARLO Smart those two cameras looked different. S we hen I posted a photo of the cameras, it was posted here that the cameras were ARLO Pro2. I realize you could only do that with the info and photos I provided. It was only because I am planning to relocate tho hose cameras did I realize they weren’t ARLOs, but instead RINGS. No question about that
My question is how does ARLO Smart pickup those cameras and allows me to view the video captures. Does ARLO Smart be smart enough to know it’s not one of their cameras yet still l ed ts try hem be viewed as is the were ARLIS
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have not seen any reference to arlo being able to access any other brand of camera.

Is it possible that the lake front cameras are located elsewhere to where the ring cameras are located ?
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

I dont know how I can show this.

But when I am using ARLO Smart, I can view the videos (live) and on cloud on those RING Cameras.  I can set video zones and more.   Though I am afraid to remove the device, because I may not get it back.

I could grant you access to view my cameras so you can see what I am talking about.  Is that an option that may help?

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

When I am using ARLO Smart, I can use all the various functions.  But what is most surprising is that I can 

pick up Device Details:

BEACH Camera:     

Serial Number:  A2R1997VBEC81

Hardware:  H6

Firmware:  1.125.17.1_11_de840d

MARINA Camera:

Serial Number:  A2R1997VBEC81

Hardware:  H6

Firmware:   1.125.17.1_11_de840d

Looking at both the details of those cameras, ARLO Smart is reporting the same details for each camera.

When I view the details for all the other ARLO cameras, I see the different Serial numbers, Hardware, and Firmware

Dannybear
Master
Master
You mentioned arlo smart, do you mean arlo secure which is the new arlo app renamed or using a app on a smart tv?
Do you have a close up picture of the camera to post?
I am not a arlo agent so not interested in access to your account.

One of the moderators might be able to help.
@JamesC or @ShayneS
Dannybear
Master
Master
The firmware is almost the same for arlo pro2 or earlier, edit missing the 9

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Pro-2-VMC4030P-1-125-17-1-11-de8490d-30th-...

Although the serial number is different to mine 52M1847xxx...and h3 or h4 which is just a manufacture revision.

The ring cameras might be an older install or belong to someone else.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

Two of them, monitoring our LakeFront under ARLO shows them to be ARLO Pro 2 cameras.   I just came

back from the lake and saw that both of those cameras were RINGs.

Arlo has no support at all for Ring cameras, so this is (to say the least) very surprising.

Can you post pictures of these two cameras?

Maybe also move these cameras, and confirm that the view changes in the Arlo app.  (Or alternatively, cover their lenses).

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
I do have a close up photo. Just have to remember how to include the attachment in a post.
The Ring cameras were the first installed for our club. No one remembers who installed them. But I can control them from ARLO Smart from my IPhone or computer. I just changed their activity view and a few othe options. The all take effect . So I am confused how ARLO can see these cameras, the are included in our monthly plan and can view all videos even from 2 months ago. I know I don’t want to remove these devices because I don’t think I could get them back. Does any of this makes sense?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:
Does any of this makes sense?

Frankly, no.

You can attach a photo using the paper clip below the text box, or the photo icon over the text box.  If you use the icon, the mods will need to approve the image before it will be shown.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

I dont have a paperclip below the text box.  (I am using Chrome)  So, I am using the Icon attach photos.  I have several 

One the Ring Camera itself

One showing the ARLO Secure view of the camera

One showing the ARLO Secure view of the details of the camera

One showing the ARLO Secure view of what the camera sees

One showing the battery I pulled out of the Ring Camera2022-06-21 14.58.50.jpg2022-06-21 14.58.25.jpg2022-06-21 14.55.37.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-22 12.20.33.pngScreenshot 2022-06-22 12.19.44.pngScreenshot 2022-06-22 12.19.08.pngScreenshot 2022-06-22 12.19.25.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

I dont have a paperclip below the text box.  (I am using Chrome) 

I use Chrome here too, and I see it.

paperclip.png

Hopefully the mods will approve your images soon.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

Agree none of this make sense!

When I attached photos using the ICON, I saw the photos immediately.   But then when I went back to look at them, as you said, I guess I need to wait for the Mods to approve the photos.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

Another thing I noticed.  When I went into the camera details for MARINA and BEACH (which are RING Cameras),

I can make several adjustments.  I can turn the speaker on/off.  

But under Video settings, I can not do:

Auto Zoom and Tracking

Low Light Settings

Video Mode

But those work fine for my other real ARLO cameras

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Hate to keep adding things, but I also noticed under the Subscriptions (the are included) but show only 1080p recording while my Ultras have 4K recording. But also my ARLO Go2 only does 1080p.

Just trying to make sense out of what does not make sense
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've looked up the serial numbers for the Beach and Marina cameras you linked above, these are Arlo Pro 2 cameras, not Ring cameras.

Ring cameras are impossible to link with an Arlo account and the account with the Beach and Marina Arlo Pro 2 cameras you've mentioned above doesn't appear to show anything out of the ordinary.

The Ring cameras you've pictured above must be associated with a Ring account.

JamesC

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
I’m doing more research regarding the 2 Ring stickup cameras we have in our configuration. No doubt that using ARLI Secure on my desktop or IPhone I can view what the cameras are seeing but U can also look into the library and watch videos captured in the cloud. I can make some seething adjustments (Speakers, Activity zones and wide normal, etc). I know this should nit be happening but it really is. The batteries on those Ring cameras went low. I have backup fully charged batteries. When I put one in, the % is always around 59% and the Nsolar. charger green light is on. One the other camera the percent is always 6% even if I swap the one that says 48%. So now I realize that ARLI secure allows me to do some things with these Ring cameras, but fir one thing can not properly measure the cameras. Beats the heck out of me hiw U can di any of this. You say I’m crazy and I might afeee. But I am seeing what U see. Everything Ive read says ARLI and RING can not work together. Fir whatever reason mine are to some extent. Fir sanity reasons I am replacing those Rings with ARLO PRO2. I just hope they will have the same video coverage and battery life
Dannybear
Master
Master
I wonder if the ring stickup camera’s were gifted from a trade show. It is known that promoters use mock-ups of their new products with empty internals. Someone may have placed a early netgear camera inside and used the ring housing for weather protection.
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Thats interesting!
I know its a Ring camera from the battery which I have had to replace. Plus our club manager said years ago they had Ring come and install those two cameras. No charge, 3 month trial and that was it.
Problem now is the batteries run low and the new batteries I put it do not seem to charge up the camera.
I am replacing this with ARLOs. But I plan on doing something with those Ring cameras
Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation