Arlo outdoor cable to Ultra 2

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dregol1
Guide
Guide

Can the Arlo AC adapter for the Arlo outdoor charing cable be installed outdoors, or is it only the cable between the AC adapter and the camera that can be used outdoors? I'm using the Europlug. 

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The outdoor AC adapter has the cable permanently attached to the wall wart - it's not 2 pieces.

dregol1
Guide
Guide

Thanks! I understand that the cable is permanently attached to adapter. The issue is that the AC adapter does not seem to work with outdoor extension cords, which is why I am wondering if the AC adapter itself can be placed outdoors.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The whole device is weatherproof (or at least resistant) so, yes, it can be outdoors. The issue is that the electrical connection needed to plug the power adapter in also needs to be weatherproof/resistant so the house AC is protected from weather. The typical outdoor outlet has such protection so you can just plug it in but if you need an extension cord for the adapter, that connection needs to be protected. We're getting into "is it a good idea" area now but you should be able to find a suitable box at a hardware store that would protect that connection.

dregol1
Guide
Guide

Here is the outdoor cable I am using.

As you can see in the picture below, the AC adapter does not fit properly; it doesn't fully connect.

What extension cable should I use instead to make it work?

unnamed-18

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dregol1 wrote:

Here is the outdoor cable I am using.

As you can see in the picture below, the AC adapter does not fit properly; it doesn't fully connect.

What extension cable should I use instead to make it work?

First double-check that the extension cord and the outlet is ok.  Try connecting something else to it, and make sure that it works.

The charger should plug should insert all the way into the socket.  Do you have any similar issues with other devices you plug into the extension?

dregol1
Guide
Guide

I have tested other devices, and they work perfectly if it is a round Europlug. However, it does not work with Arlo's flat Europlug because the pins do not reach the bottom. The design of the adapter prevents it from fully inserting (see my image above). 

dregol1
Guide
Guide

Screenshot-2024-07-18-at-08-10-09

However, it works if I use a dusk-to-dawn sensor between the extension cord and the Arlo adapter. Could this be because the sensor has a cover that protects the Arlo adapter?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dregol1 wrote:

However, it works if I use a dusk-to-dawn sensor between the extension cord and the Arlo adapter. Could this be because the sensor has a cover that protects the Arlo adapter?

No, since the adapter has no means of detecting the cover.

Likely it is because the pins on the Arlo connector are long enough to reach the power when plugged into the sensor, but not long enough to reach the power when plugged into the extension.

dregol1
Guide
Guide

I was thinking that the sensor connector might be somewhat shallower because there is a cover above it that protects the connector, but for the extension cable, there is no cover, so the connector itself must be deeper, which leads to the problem.

Does anyone have a solution for this? How should one extend the charging cable outdoors? I have tested several cables but the same problem persists with all of them.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation