Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app will not connect to second VMB5000

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 3 camera system, Ultra 2, that is functioning with a single base station. One of the cameras is very distant from the base station and has a weak connection. Multiple attempts to install a second base station into the system for a stronger signal have not worked. I have gone through three different base stations with the same result. I have rebooted, reset, repowered multiple times with no success. Three sessions with Arlo support has not helped. They only repeated the same instructions. The unit is clearly internet connect, solid blue LED, is seen by the router, but will not register with the app.

I cannot believe there are three different base units that are defective. There must be some other procedure to incorporate a second base station, or at least an explanation why it will not work. Do I have to remove all devices and re-construct the whole system? The set-up is actually working fine with the exception of the weak connection from the base station to the distant Ultra 2 camera, which unfortunately cannot be directly connected to the wifi router. So it's a case of if it's not broke don't fix it. Any suggestions appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
Dannybear
Master
Master

Sounds like an account issue.

Adding another Base station is usually very easy, add new device then select base station and follow the cable connection process, wait a few minutes for the base to boot up after power is applied before proceeding with the find device start.

There’s no restrictions to the number of bases allowed, only if the base station has been previously used and was never removed from the previous owners account.

Although you seem to know the adding process, can you confirm what the LEDs status is on the new  base?

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

If you believe that the new base is not in the as new state you could try factory resetting.

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

Just make sure your app device is connected to the local network wifi not a cellular connection.

You can also try using a pc web browser on same network and using the arlo web portal.

As a first step power cycle the old base station, local router modem equipment so you can eliminate a confused network configuration.

dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Danny. I’ve been down all those roads multiple times. That is what is so frustrating. It surely seems like there is some type of account problem as the hub appears to be functioning normally, but just cannot be seen by the Arlo app. 

This unit is a virgin unit purchased directly from Arlo. I have re-booted the device with the power cord several times. I’ve factory reset with the reset button 7-8 times. I’ve used my iPhone, iPad, and laptop browser to try to connect. Each time the unit goes through the amber, flashing amber to solid blue color before I try to connect. 

I can access the Netgear router and see both VMB5000 Smart hubs have IP and MAC addresses. So the unit is clearly internet connected. It correctly sees my first hub as connected to a satellite router. The second mystery router is connected to the main router and the location and internet addresses are correctly identified and located. 

I do have two Arlo systems, and perhaps this is complicating matters. One system is in Florida and the other is in Colorado (my current location and site of this issue). Both systems are easily accessed through the Arlo app and are functioning normally. The router software in Colorado clearly shows both local hubs as internet connected, the functioning router as well as the router that cannot be seen by the Arlo app. The hang-up is integrating the hub with the local Colorado system.

The same thing happened with two hubs purchased from Amazon, which I returned, and chalked it up to bad luck. But with a third hub giving me the same result, it must be some type of system or account problem that I’m unable to get past. Thank you so much for lending a hand with this dilemma. Arlo support has not been helpful, as all they do is have me repeat the same steps I’ve gone through which should work, but don’t.

Dannybear
Master
Master

A few more questions.

• can I assume you have logged into the correct account for the location your trying to add the new base.
  • You mentioned that the new base led turns blue eventually after the factory reset, I don’t have a 5000 base but I imagine it should not be blue since it has no cameras attached.
  • As a test have you tried replacing the existing base with the new base to eliminate the existing base as causing some confusion. Don’t remove the existing base from the account just physically swap it and see if it can be added that way.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dodsonmd wrote:

I can access the Netgear router and see both VMB5000 Smart hubs have IP and MAC addresses. So the unit is clearly internet connected. It correctly sees my first hub as connected to a satellite router. The second mystery router is connected to the main router and the location and internet addresses are correctly identified and located. 

What do you mean by "mystery router".  Is the Netgear router a mesh?

dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I only have one account, and can manage both locations through that app.

The LED is supposed to turn blue when it is internet connected, and is exactly what happens.

Good idea to sway the units and see what happens. I'll give that a try and report back.

dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

My apologies for the error. I mistakenly referred to the non-connecting Smart Hub as the mystery router. I should have said mysterious base unit.

Yes, the Netgear system is a mesh system, and has been working great. I'm very pleased with the coverage for the house. The working hub is attached to one of the mesh satellites. The new Smart Hub I'm attempting to use is connected to the main router as Arlo advises in their set up instructions.

The working hub is attached to a satellite in the garage, as that is an important location to monitor. An additional camera is located in a lower level location, probably about as far from the hub as is physically possible. The reported connection varies from 1 to 2 bars on the little pie icon, and the camera intermittently reports no connection, and then will spontaneously re-connect. My presumption was that a second base unit located closer to the camera would provide a stronger, more reliable connection. Then I ran into this refusal by the app to recognize the second hub.

As I previously mentioned, this is the third new unit I have attempted to use. I had assumed the first two were somehow defective, but when the third one couldn't be recognized, it seemed clear there must be some other process or interference going on.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dodsonmd wrote:

Yes, the Netgear system is a mesh system, and has been working great. I'm very pleased with the coverage for the house. The working hub is attached to one of the mesh satellites. The new Smart Hub I'm attempting to use is connected to the main router as Arlo advises in their set up instructions.

As I previously mentioned, this is the third new unit I have attempted to use. I had assumed the first two were somehow defective, but when the third one couldn't be recognized, it seemed clear there must be some other process or interference going on.

FWIW, I use an Orbi mesh system, and I do have two VMB5000s (and one VMB4540) connected to the mesh.

In your case, the bases are connected to the router, so I am thinking the problem is getting the app to discover the new base.

A couple things you could try:

• turn off the satellites while onboarding the base, in order to make sure the phone is connecting to the main router's wifi (and not a satellite).
  • use a PC instead of the app (ideally connecting the PC via ethernet to the router).
  • If you use Armor, then try disabling that during onboarding.

Probably makes sense to the the paper-clip reset of the base before trying these.

dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks so much for the help. I'm still stuck. To be clear, I do have two separate Arlo systems, Florida and Colorado, both connected to Orbi mesh systems. Florida: RBR50, Colorado: RBR760. Both systems seen by the Orbi app, and by the Arlo app. The Florida system is stable and functioning well.

Here's what I've done so far in Colorado:

Both satellites off, unplugged.

Armor off.

Unplugged the working hub (Hub1). All Arlo devices show as offline. System down to the main router and no Arlo gear connected. Reattached the new base station, still not seen by app.

Reset the internet modem. Removed router RBR760 from the Orbi app and re-installed as a new system. Reset the Orbi RBR760 router, wifi network functional. 

Factory reset Hub2 (non-recognized) and connected it to the main router. Orbi app show the VMB5000 (Hub2) as connected. Arlo app still will not recognize Hub2.

Connected Hub1 to the main router, rebooted with the power cord, same cable. All Arlo devices show as back online. So Hub1 and wifi network are working.

Repowered both satellites used with the RBR760. Synced satellites to the main router. Reconnected Hub1 to the satellite. All Arlo devices show as online connected to Hub1. Back to where I started. Reconnected Hub2 to main router. Again no luck.

Orbi app shows two connected VMB5000s. Arlo app only shows Hub1. Factory reset Hub2 (again), still not recognized.

Logged into Arlo.com with my laptop, My Dashboard, local system seen, Hub1 seen, all devices online. MacBook would not find Hub2.

What am I doing wrong? Am I looking for the wrong result? I would think the Arlo app would list two base stations attached to the RBR760, and allow me to connect a local device to the closest hub. But for that to happen, it would have to be available in the app, no? Should I re-install the Arlo app? I'm running out of bullets here.....thanks again.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dodsonmd wrote:

What am I doing wrong? Am I looking for the wrong result? I would think the Arlo app would list two base stations attached to the RBR760, and allow me to connect a local device to the closest hub. But for that to happen, it would have to be available in the app, no? Should I re-install the Arlo app? I'm running out of bullets here.....thanks again.

You've done pretty much everything I can think of.

You're correct in thinking that "add device" needs to successfully add hub2 before you can onboard a camera to that hub.  Reinstalling the app is easy to try, so worth a shot.  But if it is the app, then the MacBook should have worked.

If you use a VPN service on the phone and MacBook, then you do need to turn them off during onboarding

Is it possible that Access Control in the RBR760 is set to block new devices from connecting to the network? Or perhaps a VLAN is set up in the advanced settings for the router LAN ports?

Have you tried connecting hub2 to the same satellite that hub1 uses, and onboard from there?

MP34
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.

I spent an hour in chat with a tech.

They had me run through every conceivable fix and then decided that my two, yes two, Ultra base stations are faulty and need to be replaced.

I doubt that both base stations are bad.

Don't bother doing more than one Factory Reset.

The answer is the same every time.

Dannybear
Master
Master

When you operate the factory reset button what exactly does the led display as it reboots?

Maybe the reset button is not working anymore and that’s why they say they are faulty.

Have you tried the firmware update process using the factory reset without Ethernet connected, then power cycling and connecting Ethernet to force an update?

MP34
Aspirant
Aspirant

The reset buttons work fine.

The LED blinks amber after depressing the reset button for between 10 and 15 seconds.

Within 30 seconds after the blinking amber the LED will go to solid blue.

I tried the reset once again without the ethernet cable and then cycled the power.

Same result - Your Base Station could not be discovered

Dannybear
Master
Master

Thank you for sharing the detail.

The analysis of the arlo articles on the 5000 base suggest that the base should reboot to a slowly blinking blue led indicating it is ready to be claimed. Some have said that it recovers to a steady yellow state but never steady blue.

If the led is steady blue then the base thinks that it has already been claimed thus suggesting it was never previously removed from the previous owners account thus why it cannot be claimed.

The base station is unlikely to faulty in hardware, firmware yes it could be bricked.

One question is if the base station has a memory card installed as this could be preventing the base from being reset.

Incase it has not been considered, is there any VPN active? 

dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dannybear:

Thanks for the input.

There is no VPN, no memory card, this is a total virgin unit direct from Arlo. I have no way of knowing if it was ever in another system, it was wrapped as a new unit.

This unit, like the two units I bought and returned to Amazon, cycled exactly the same when doing the factory reset. With the button held down, the LED goes amber, blinks amber/blue for a couple times then goes black. It comes on as steady amber for about 30 sec, then blinks amber for a few seconds, then goes steady blue. All three units worked exactly the same. 

I did the factory reset without the ethernet connected. All it did was go steady amber for about 15 sec, then flashing amber for a couple minutes until I unplugged it and did the power reset. As usual, flashing amber, then steady blue. and no recognition by the app.

This is a real mystery. The unit is clearly internet connected, confirmed by the router software. The problem is with the app. The rest of the system is totally functional. 

I just about ready to send this unit back to Arlo although I really think the hardware is fine, there is some other issue that is interfering with the integration of this unit into my system.

dodsonmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who commented on this issue. I was ultimately unsuccessful in the project, and have returned the unit to Arlo. I may try again in a few months, hoping they will have improved the app, and/or the Smarthub firmware in some way.

MP34
Aspirant
Aspirant

After spending over 5 hours on the phone with Tech support and getting different aswers from each tech, I decided to box up the two base units and 4 cameras for return.

I will not purchase any Ultra systems in the future.

I will continue to use my Pro 2 system.

Thanks for attempting to help.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation