Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra 2 hard wired to existing power port

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
psw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just purchase an Arlo Ultra 2 and considering hard wiring the camera.  I have a couple of out door lights that are already contacted to the house, with power.  I am thinking of replacing these lights, with the Arlo Ultra 2 cameras that can use the existing power cables that these lights are using.  I was hoping I could find a small cable that would connect the cameras with the wiring already in place.  I have done a quick search and found that a number of the cables have an adaptor or usb port.  Just wanted to confirm is my only option is to buy one of these and cut the plug off and but a connector to connect with existing power cables or is there an alternative available.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I do want to make sure that I can limit the amount of cabling being shown on the wall.

2 REPLIES 2
psw
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is showing that I am in the US but I located in the UK.  Have just tried to change my settings, was not sure whether it has an impact on responses to my query above.  

Many thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera only supports the magnetic connector, so you certainly need that.

The other end normally is USB-A, and connects to a USB power adapter.  You might be able to put a power outlet in the outlet box that provides USB power.  Make sure it generates at least as much power as the indoor charger.

Another aspect is that the indoor cable isn't rated for outdoor use.  You could consider cannibalizing an outdoor cable.  A third-party cable (perhaps Wasserstein) might be better, as it has both the magnetic and the USB connectors.  The Arlo outdoor cable is integrated (no USB-A connector).

Note Arlo doesn't recommend (or support) third-party charging systems.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation