Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra 2 and VMB 4000 Local Recording

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Steve2105
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the above base station, 3 Pro 2 Cams and a new Ultra 2 Cam. All 4 Cams are visible on the app but only the Pro 2's record on Motion detection. The Ultra 2 wont even record manually.

It did work before I disabled the free subscription offer. Now I get "The request for recordings is invalid".

This seems very dodgy to me. I don't want anything on the Arlo/Netgear cloud.

Will I be forced to upgrade the Base Station to get around this?

Thanks

Steve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Steve2105 wrote:

I assume my 7 day free cloud storage just kept rolling over for the 6 or so yesrs Ive had the Pro 2 Cams?

Yes, and it should continue indefinitely (for those camera models)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Steve2105 wrote:

I have the above base station, 3 Pro 2 Cams and a new Ultra 2 Cam. All 4 Cams are visible on the app but only the Pro 2's record on Motion detection. The Ultra 2 wont even record manually.

It did work before I disabled the free subscription offer.

Local recordings stored on your particular base cannot be viewed in the app or browser.  All the recordings you are seeing are stored in the cloud.  The only way to see local recordings is to eject the USB stick and connect it to a PC.

The Pro 2 recordings are shown because those cameras include free 7-day cloud storage.  Newer camera models (starting with the Ultra in 2018) do not have that, and require a subscription to get any cloud storage.

So your simplest option is to get a subscription for the Ultra. 

The other option is to upgrade the base to either a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 smarthub.  That would let you see local recordings without a subscription.  But the feature has major limitations, so personally I don't think it's a good experience.

• Local recordings are only shown in the app (not the browser)
  • Local recordings are only accessible from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • no thumbnails, all videos need to be downloaded to view
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).
Steve2105
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I assume my 7 day free cloud storage just kept rolling over for the 6 or so yesrs Ive had the Pro 2 Cams?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Steve2105 wrote:

I assume my 7 day free cloud storage just kept rolling over for the 6 or so yesrs Ive had the Pro 2 Cams?

Yes, and it should continue indefinitely (for those camera models)

Steve2105
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, thanks for that and thank you for your detailed and prompt responses to my queries! I ended up just getting a 1 Yr subscription for the New Ultra 2 and all is back to normal.

Regards

Steve

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation