Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra 2 and Smart Hub VMB5000

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
jfitz48
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am confused.  I want to purchase the Ultra 2 cameras.  I have seen documentation online indicating it does not require a base station and will connect directly to your router wifi signal.  I have seen other documentation indicating you need to have the VMB5000 smart hub and then connect the ultra 2 camera to the hub via wifi. My question is which is correct? Also if you do not need the smart hub with the ultra 2 , is there an advantage signal  or otherwise to making the additional purchase of the smart hub?  Is the VMB5000 the most newest smart hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

To clarify, The Arlo Ultra 2 cameras are only compatible with the following base stations: VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4000, VMB4500. You may find more info here: Compatible Base Stations/Smart hubs The Arlo Ultra 2 cameras are not compatible with connecting directly to your WIFI router. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As shown in the product description as well as the FAQ here in the support section, the Ultra 2 is compatible with your WiFi as well as various hubs and base stations:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

The VMB5000 is actually a bit older than the VMB4540. I prefer the 4540 since I can use a thumb drive instead of a microSD card for local recordings. Otherwise, there's virtually no difference.

jfitz48
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you,  do you know if there is any advantage/disadvantage of using the Ultra 2 with a smart hub vs  connecting the Ultra 2 camera direct to the wifi without a hub?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Where do you see compatible with your wi-fi ?  Pretty sure a hub is required for even the Ultra 2.  Last I saw only the pro4 could work without a hub.

jfitz48
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thats whats confusing to me,  as I have read  several things online that indicate the ultra2 does not need a base, among them  "digital trends" which states ..."One feature of note is that both the Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Ultra 2 cameras are wire-free and don’t require dedicated hubs anymore, allowing for more diverse placement. With no need for a hub to connect them to a wireless network, you aren’t limited by the proximity of power outlets when placing these cameras".

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/arlo-drops-hub-pro-4-ultra-2-cameras/

dcfox1
Master
Master

@LandJS wrote:

Where do you see compatible with your wi-fi ?  Pretty sure a hub is required for even the Ultra 2.  Last I saw only the pro4 could work without a hub.

I thought that also. The second post in FAQ by ShayneS says it just the hub. I think some are confusing it with Essential and Pro4 that can connect directly to wifi. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I have been reading tech sites for more than since the 80's and finding incorrect inf is not unusual.  Even their product reviews, though helpful can be misleading.  Often they are sent a company product test but they are not always real world tested especially not used for at least a year to find all the bugs.  As for what Arlo equipment can do,  Arlo's documentation tells you each devices capabilities.  Everything I can find on the Ultra 2 shows the need for a hub.

jfitz48
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks its all very confusing

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

To clarify, The Arlo Ultra 2 cameras are only compatible with the following base stations: VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4000, VMB4500. You may find more info here: Compatible Base Stations/Smart hubs The Arlo Ultra 2 cameras are not compatible with connecting directly to your WIFI router. 

jfitz48
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank You much for clarifying this

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@jfitz48

You are welcome, let me know if you have any further questions.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation