Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Frequently my rear yard camera just notifies me out of the blue that their is motion, usually specified as an animal, however no motion is present and the thumbnail shows a picture with a scrambled vertical line in it somewhere. It is very close to the base it runs off of and has full signal.

Some kind of blip in the signal? The front one has done it but not as much and it has full strength too.

lots of Wi-Fi bouncing around in this house, but is pretty absent in that line of signal.

anyone else notice this?

7 REPLIES 7
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Also what’s up with the partial green shots?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshTray900 wrote:

Also what’s up with the partial green shots?

Both the scrambled lines and green are signs of loss on the connection path.  The other possibility (less likely) is that the compression hardware in the camera isn't working correctly.  With modern video compression, each block in the picture is constructed from previously sent blocks (only sending changes). So if there is any loss, you will see corruption.

The smart classification is done by AI in the Arlo cloud, and it will be confused by the corrupted.

Does moving the camera closer to the base (or router) eliminate (or reduce) the problem?  (I'm just suggesting this as a test).

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB 

it doesn’t help, I’ve had the base in several locations, now I run 2 bases as one isn’t enough to catch them all, the “yard” cameras always have done this, the cameras facing parts of the house do not, they are close together like one will be pointing out and 3 feet away one is pointing in

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshTray900 wrote:

it doesn’t help, I’ve had the base in several locations, now I run 2 bases as one isn’t enough to catch them all, the “yard” cameras always have done this, the cameras facing parts of the house do not, 

About how far away are the "yard" cameras from their base?

Do you ever see these problems when livestreaming?

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

The one that pesters me the most, about 8ft and only one brick wall. The other yard camera is more like 15 but is usually much better behaved.

given this isn’t a huge problem, maybe once a day I’ll get two or three videos notify me at the same time and then it will be gone but the base is taking on lots of videos to sd card, I’m just not notified and I am when something happened I want to see besides those instances

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AshTray900 wrote:

The one that pesters me the most, about 8ft and only one brick wall. The other yard camera is more like 15 but is usually much better behaved.

So really close - Any idea if there is anything metal in the walls?

If the wall includes poured concrete, there could be rebar inside.  If not, there could be pipes or ducting in the signal path.

If you have an android phone, you could also look at the base signal strength at the camera location.  Several free wifi analyzers will give you this.  If not, it might be simpler to swap the two yard cameras and see if the problem stays with the location.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Just a regular brick wall. Apple shows signal maxed out. I do have Wi-Fi analyzer and it’s good out there

my Orbi mesh and both Arlo bases run all on the same 5ghz and 2.4 ghz frequencies but I read this was supposed to be the case.

the camera streams 4k perfectly. It’s not big enough of a problem to switch cams around already did a bunch of this due to faulty PIR in one and have it all working well enough I don’t really want to start jacking with things again. All are wired and the only thing with any possible interference is the ac line running to the disposal and the sink light but it has no connection to these being on or off.

guess I was just wondering if it was a common issue, the videos themselves look just fine; the thumbnail in Arlo cloud shows the distortion and I was just thinking that maybe a blip in the signal was causing motion detection; but the yard camera’s are always making videos, the activity zones filer out smart notifications. Probably down to an Arlo smart issue, for some reason being pointed into the yard causes them to constantly record and get filtered, I think sun or wind does it so I have the activity zones cut all that out. I think having AC power means the camera is actually on all the time as motion triggers a video and I get like 10 seconds before it happened.

guess I’ll live with it, just wondering if it was a common issue with an easy fix

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation