Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

All Ultra Cameras Went Offline

MrCat
Initiate
Initiate

Says base station on line, cameras off line; happened early 25 Sep23.

Is Arlo down?

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. The recent firmware release has been rolled back. Please restart your base station/SmartHub to allow your cameras to receive the previous firmware version. If you're still experiencing an issue, you may need to remove and reinsert the battery within the affected cameras to allow them to come back online.

JamesC

262 REPLIES 262
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There appears to be an issue with Ultra 2s and the latest firmware. I saw a post from @JamesC indicating that a recent firmware update was being rolled back and to reboot your hub to get the cameras the firmware fix.  He also said if that doesn't work you may need to reinsert camera batteries to get them back online so they can get the update.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There appears to be an issue with Ultra 2s and the latest firmware. I saw a post from @JamesC indicating that a recent firmware update was being rolled back and to reboot your hub to get the cameras the firmware fix.  He also said if that doesn't work you may need to reinsert camera batteries to get them back online so they can get the update.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

I have three base stations running with a mix of Arlo fairly new Ultra 2, with older Pro 2 and Pro 3 cameras.

Yesterday (15 September) I noticed two of my three Arlo cameras on that one SmartHub Base Station, both Ultra 2's, went off line. Their SmartHub Base Station is working. The Pro 3 is working. Only the 'latest and greatest' Ultra 2's went off line. I suspected either a factory or firmware issue with the Ultra 2's.

This message thread confirms the problem is not on my end but Arlo's. I am again disappointed by Arlo Engineering and by Customer Service. 1. They should not push firmware to security systems that they did not bother to test, even on prisoners - but I understand that does unfortunately happen to less than the best software companies. 2. They SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED USERS OF THE PROBLEM - instead I had to find the problem, then wasted too much time trying to access my Ultra 2's (need to jump through hoops to reach them - at least lucky I was not away on travel or I would have really been wondering what had happened - even if the cameras had been damaged or stolen), wasted more time trying to diagnose then restart this and that. 3. The last phone number I had SO THAT I MIGHT REACH A HUMAN BEING AT ARLO has become useless - it is just an outgoing message not about new features coming out in October, and with no option to reach a human at Tech Support. Arlo caused me to lose use of two pretty critical cameras, and did not have the consideration to notify me or other users. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER HERE.

Martin

UltraUltra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue, all Ultra 2 cameras connected to 2 separate systems are offline all at once, other connected cameras are functional. Any suggestions?

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Assuming you have tried all the other solutions you have to factory reset your cameras, I had a post here that I put the steps down that I had to do but someone deleted it, you will want to look it up online I guess

Cove
Aspirant
Aspirant

I put my system in standby two days ago, when I turned it back on everything was offline. I have five ultra 2 cameras and two vmb5000 base stations. The bases were flashing amber, the app was all offline. I reset everything including modem, router, both base stations to no affect. My last resort was to factory reset but the online instructions are listed as reset the base station then remove the device from the app. I thought that sounded backwards but followed what it said to do on Arlo.com.

When I reset the base station it disappeared from the app and I couldn’t remove the device at that point, I hope the instructions don’t cause more issues if it ever comes back online. Unfortunately this did not work as the base station would get a blue light but the cameras will not connect to it. I texted with what appeared to be artificial intelligence in the help section of the app. Then it said I could chat with a person but those responses looked entirely canned and also AI. It stated there was an outage, but I searched that and didn’t find any results.

I’m hoping that is correct and the system will come back online at some point because I’m completely out of ideas. I’m open to suggestions or confirmation that others are having the same issue. TIA

MONTANABIGSKY
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo Ultra 2 cameras all offline as of 10:30pm 9-14-23.  It is now 9-16-23.  We Followed ALL the recommendations that the community manager recommended to others.  We have left messages for Arlo through their bogus online options.  But have yet had anyone from Arlo reach out after trying to notify the company and get some support. In doing this we have also discovered, Arlo doesn't provide their consumers with a customer service phone number.  You have to go through their online Chat function.  Had we known this when considering security cameras, we would have gone with another company.  Arlo, not providing a phone number for your consumers to use is lazy business practices at best and it says a lot on your value of your company, your consumers, and your product.

After hours (over 24) of trying and retrying what the Arlo Community Manager has recommended in other posts, we finally got three out of the four cameras to work.  But whatever happened on Arlo's end (Community Manager has said in other posts, it's due to the recent Firmware update) has fried one of our cameras.  We have thrown down a lot of money on this product.  We pay a monthly fee to use this product.  Now when something goes wrong, Arlo doesn't send out an email to their known consumers informing these consumers what has happened, what to expect, how to fix it, and what to do if there is no fix.  As a reminder Arlo has our contact information, they know what product of theirs we are running, and now I see in post after post, they have been aware of this issue for days now.  I don't want to chat online, I want to talk to a live person.  I pay Arlo a monthly fee, so talking to a live person should NOT be a problem!  Now one of my cameras is completely fried because of something Arlo did on their most recent firmware roll out.  I am an angry consumer.  You have an obligation when you develop a product, market that product, and take a monthly fee from your consumers for this product.  

Tell me, what happens when someone's home or business is broken into during one of your software issues?  Especially since you made no effort to inform your consumers of this issue.  We all had to come to your online community to figure it out.  And with the lack of customer service, you left it up to your consumer to try to navigate through this mess.  So, who would be held liable if there was a breakin?  

I want to know what Arlo plans to do about the consumers whose cameras have been fried in this mess.  After reading comment after comment, I don't think I'm the only one who has a fried camera.  Things happen in every company, but how those companies navigate through issues will catapulte companies into success or failure. 

If Arlo doesn't respond to their consumers regarding this issue, I will be filing a consumer complaint with my Secretary of State.  

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had to do what @LegacySW did and remove all my cameras, factory reset them, re-add them and then manually perform the firmware update on each one.

jimLA
Aspirant
Aspirant

Received this email from Arlo Support this am, after the person I was chatting with in Support terminated our chat before my Ultra 2 offline issue was resolved. The guidance here worked, and ultimately (after several attempts), I was able to get the cameras back online, and update their firmware.

Unfortunately, the chat got disconnected, we apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Kindly follow the below steps to bring the Ultra cameras back online:

1. Restart the base station from the Arlo app(Open the Arlo app>> Settings>> My devices>>
    Smarthub>>Restart the base station) and check if the camera is online.
  2. Bring the camera near the Smarthub and power cycle the camera by removing the battery from the camera and inserting the battery after 10 seconds.

If the offline issue still persists with the camera, for isolation kindly follow the below steps to remove, factory reset, and re-add the camera to your account:

Remove device:

• You can remove the devices by following the below steps:
  • Launch the Arlo app>> Settings>> My devices>> Locate the device>> Remove device>> Click Yes to confirm.

Follow the below steps to add the device to your account:

1. Restart your the Smarthub from Arlo app.
  2. Make sure that your phone is connected to your home Wi-Fi network.
  3. Turn off the mobile data or cellular data on your phone.
  4. Ensure that the VPN is disabled.
  5. Press and hold the sync button for 15 seconds to hard reset the camera until the camera LED flashes amber/Orange.
  6. Once the reset is completed follow the below steps to add the camera.
  7. Open the Arlo app>> Devices>> Plus icon (+) >> Add new device>> Cameras>>
    Ultra>> Ultra and Ultra 2>> Follow the in-app instructions to add the camera to your account
Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you are lucky like me then you will have to do these steps over and over because certain cameras don't detect any motion now.  This is just crazy.  It will take one competitor to nail the idea 4K wireless camera and ARLO is in big trouble.

bubba56
Tutor
Tutor

VMB5000 This morning my two Ultra Cams are has flashing amber lights where yesterday when I pulled batteries and reinserted I got a brief blue light and then nothing. As mention before yesterday I removed the hub and cams from app but I’ve been unable to reinstall the hub. It has a constant blue light but still scan cannot detect it. Arlo scan indicates I dont have enough upload bandwidth but this is not true, I  have excellent wifi signal. Long story short I’ve ordered a new, nearly $200 Ultra Hub from Amazon and pray this will get me back online. I can’t get cameras firmware update if I cant get them online. What a mess!

Rankled
Guide
Guide

I appreciate your help, but it doesn't work for me. All I get is a blinking amber light. My Q and Pro cameras still work. 

There is some rumor about doing a "Factory  Reset". I'm charging a camera right now before I try it. I'll find out how it's done and give it a try.

This is a major foul up by Arlo themselves. Why this issue can't be addressed by them with a definitive solution is shameful. Relying on a community with a variety of solutions, many of which are ineffective is pretty unprofessional of them since they caused it. 

darkness975
Apprentice
Apprentice

They don't seem to be charging either.  I hope the batteries are charged even though there is no blue light indicator.  

Did you have to do the factory reset with the pin hole?

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have Ultra 2's so the reset is just taking the camera out of the housing and holding down the little black button on the bottom of the camera until the light on the front starts flashing orange (prob 10-15 seconds).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@darkness975 wrote:

Did you have to do the factory reset with the pin hole?

If the base is on-line in the app, then there is no need to reset the base via the pin hole.

The cameras aren't reset that way - you hold down sync until the LED on the camera flashes amber.

Fulano
Star
Star

I have done everything in the Arlo troubleshooting instructions, including removing the batteries and reinserting them. Rebooting my Arlo wifi modem and my main modem. All cameras are deader than Kelso' s nuts. This is 5 cameras in two separate locations 60 miles apart, and they all went dead at the same time.

darkness975
Apprentice
Apprentice

Okay hopefully the batteries are charged and I'll have to do thr re-sync later.  

Rugg
Aspirant
Aspirant

All cameras went offline. Base station is connected to router and internet.  Amber flashing light.  Base station power cycled after all internet equipment reset. Same results.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Seriously I have the motion issue on one too that I have reset three times.

I got into the motion detection test and the amber light never lights up when it should as it sees movement.

the 4k is just a sales pitch, there’s NO way that 4k (when 4k streaming is enabled) is actually true 4k, if it was I should be able to see much more detail,  my old Samsung galaxy s6 from what a decade ago could get more detail with zoom, I should be able to see the stripes on my neighbors cat when it walks by it 8 ft away even in 2k saved files. After compression the image is just ok, maybe technically from a 4k image sensor but in reality not anywhere close after digital processing