Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Alexa false motion notifications

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chrisbeams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi for some reason Alexa is announcing motion when the app is not, I do see that the camera has detected movement but I guess there’s some timing issue as the app wont alert but Alexa will?

Model: VMC5040 | Arlo Ultra Wire-Free Camera
corihollis
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know what's wrong but motion detection announcement on my Alexa app (Android) is disabled. I just get the Something is not working banner. Perhaps the update will fix this.

Thanks!

essaydune

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Chrisbeams

Do you have Push Notifications enabled within your Modes > Rules for the camera(s) you wish to receive notifications from? 

Chrisbeams
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I do have them set, it seems car head lights are the issue every night. I have sensitivity down to 20 and made the activity zone smaller but still every car sets it off.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you updated to the latest version of the Android app V3.0?

Chrisbeams
Aspirant
Aspirant

i am on the iphone, so notifications work fine to it but the question is

1. why does alexa alert when the phone does not

2. why do car lights at night set it off anyhow

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Chrisbeams

I'll do my best to answer your questions. Do you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (v3.0) installed on you iPhone? 

Vehicles are large & can reflect a much larger amount IR. Also (PIR) detection requires side-to-side motion across the field of view to trigger. Passive infrared works by detecting changes across a few vertical zones in the field of view. You might want to try adjusting your cameras angle to avoid  these vehicles as much as possible. 

You can also adjust the cameras sensitivity to see if you can achieve your desired results. Additionally, you can utilize activity zones to filter out the unwanted notifications. 

Chrisbeams
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi yes latest version and reduced sensitivity and reduced activity zones a lot. The question is more about why does Alexa alert (false) when the app doesn’t.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation