Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Terrible Android interface change: swiping away notifications opens the app!

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Riot
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am a long-time Arlo user, having bought into the system in the Netgear days, and running dozens of cameras across multiple sites and accounts.  Over the years I've seen some pretty poor decisions made by Arlo, but the latest really takes the biscuit, and I finally had to say something.

When cameras are triggered, I receive "smart" notifications on my Android device, with an animated preview of the recorded event - this is very good, and usually gives me enough information about the event.  Swiping to the right dismisses these, as you would expect.

Until the latest update.  Now, swiping to the right to dismiss the notification brings up the Arlo app, for some reason, instead.

This is obviously an intentional change, as it has begun recently.  I suggest that whichever intern decided it would be a great idea to turn a "dismiss" gesture into a "interrupt my current workflow, and replace my current application with a full-screen version of whatever I just tried to dismiss" needs to be sent back to UX school!

I can't be the only one suffering from this terrible choice.  Please sort this out immediately, and hopefully I can go back to lurking for another eight years.

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This doesn't happen here using the Android app. I swipe notifications away all the time.

I suspect that somehow you're actually tapping the notification (finger bounce?) which would open the app.

Riot
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, I'm not "finger bouncing".  Here's a video of the action:

Notice Firefox is open at first, then as soon as I swipe away, the Arlo app opens in the background instead, while it's still behind the notifications.  This is completely different behaviour from what you get if you tap the notification normally.

sia_later
Star
Star

This is also happening to me. Only started when I stupidly updated to the latest version of the app.

Will be rolling back immediately.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm guessing this is an iOS issue since I have Android and it's working well. Use Settings, Support to open a case so the next app update hopefully fixes this.

Riot
Aspirant
Aspirant

The title pretty clearly says "Android", the video clearly shows Android, and another Android user has confirmed the issue.

Riot
Aspirant
Aspirant

For others encountering this issue, a direct link to open a support case is here: https://www.arlo.com/ContactUs/SupportRequest.aspx

jen23il
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought your issue was initially going to incorporate my issue, as you describe the preview was occuring before the update.

Now I get the TINIEST thumbnail.  I can't make anything out and I don't get an animated preview.

I've tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling.  That worked for 1 push notification than stopped.

I've tried turning off the Automated preview setting in all the devices, shutting down the app then restarting app and turning the Automated preview setting back on.  Nada.

Will be submitting a support ticket.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

You clearly are a savvy user, so forgive my suggestion, but Android has come out with a couple recent updates.  Any chance that's part of the issue?

Also, I've been an Arlo user myself, mostly the original Ultra,  for nearly 5 years now.  Were you affected by the thumbnails showing hours days or weeks since last activity despite there being many recent recordings?  There has been several threads about this so I'm curious if you've seen them. My original ticket was sent to Arlo in early May.  I consider this issue one of Arlo's Top 5 all time buffoonery firmware changes.  Today, the first time since late April/early May, my thumbnails are showing the recent activity.  I wonder if Arlo finally figured it out. Geez!!!!

GL2U

Caillin
Initiate
Initiate

Having an identical issue here on Samsung Z Fold 2, OneUI 5.0 (Android 13).

I've never seen this happen on any app before on Android since the very beginning of the OS, so Arlo definitely deserves some sort of prize for unique broken beahviour lol