Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
nexusnrg
Tutor
Tutor

I have had my PRO 3 Floodlight for a couple of years. I have the Arlo Smart Premier - Single Camera plan and have the Arlo Smart is active on this camera with the motion alerts enabled only for PEOPLE and VEHICLES. I have everything else turned off. But I constantly keep getting alerts for ANIMALS. There are some stray cats and other wildlife that often come into range of the camera. I am sick of constant notifications about the animals and would like ARLO to fix this. I'm tired of paying for a service that I'm not getting.

I'm on Version 3.5.12_4 released 1/11/2022

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nexusnrg,

Consider toggling off all Smart Alerts for your floodlight, restart the floodlight, and then toggle on the desired alerts. Test to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Since-1960
Initiate
Initiate

Firmware 1.080.17.1_32_5097d3c.

Just installed the cameras yesterday. Firmware upgrade was required before the cams would operate. Turned off Animal detection notification on all three cams, but still being notified with Animal alerts.

Rocketdog13
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is still an issue and is getting beyond a joke.

I have FOUR pro 3 cameras and a subscription for smart features and yet I received 37 notifications last night for ANIMAL triggers because a fox played in my front garden.

I have ALL smart notifications for animals/vehicles/other set to OFF, only people is turned on yet I get a constant stream of 30 second clips of my cats or foxes etc running about in my gardens.

Before anyone says it, yes I understand the cameras will always record what they see but the servers should then determine it is animal and then NOT send me a notification and previews of the clips.

I'm getting sick of Arlo and their moderators/gurus telling us the same trash advice of reboot, reboot, reboot.

It's 2022, and I've had cheap £30 cameras from Amazon that could tell the difference between a person and a fox but Arlo STILL struggles with this, the only reason I have Arlo is because I NEED a system that can detect packages, people, animals as well as cloud record and not be hackable from China, I also need the two way talk, floodlight etc otherwise I would have stuck with the cheap cameras.

The fact that this is STILL being reported as an issue since the first PRO camera is a disgrace and clearly shows that Arlo can't employ decent software engineers.

I can't believe that some advice further up was to turn off ALL detection parameters and see if that helped, why not just turn off the cameras entirely then, honestly.

Eksoccer99
Star
Star

Exactly. Still happening. Everything is up to date. Toggled off/on, reboots. No matter what smart notifications is turned off per camera; still get notification. Also same goes for zone setup. Zone to stop at street, vehicles turned off. Still get notified. They all got us just to upgrade per subscription and cloud storage, I feel. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

How often is this occurring? When did it first start? Are you still experiencing the issue?

JamesC

Eksoccer99
Star
Star

Everyday all the time. About a week ago or two weeks ago. I’ve even turned down the intensity and still get vehicle notifications even though it’s off under smart notifications per my front yard camera and a zone setup to stop at the walkway. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Eksoccer99,

You might consider removing and resyncing the problematic camera. After re-onboarding, adjust your smart settings and activity zones and then test to see if you experience better behavior.

JamesC

DFripper
Initiate
Initiate

I too am having this issue. 3 brand new Pro4 cameras. Have rebooted MULTIPLE times. Deleted and reinstalled. Turned off all notifications and on unchecking animal. But I still get animal notifications. Beyond frustrating. Bought because of reputation but my cheaper Blinks did the same thing. This is very frustrating. 

Rocketdog13
Apprentice
Apprentice

I solved this issue.

By cancelling my smart subscription package and surprise, surprise, my spurious false notifications stopped overnight.

So basically the smart package subscription generates it's own validation for having it by constantly notifying you making it seem like it's doing a great job, because you know what, my cameras now behave better without the garbage subscription.

When I had it, 30-40 notifictions/clips per night.

Without it, maybe 3-4 on a bad night.

To everyone reading this, just cancel your subscription and the problems cease almost immediately, add a USB drive to the hub, it's a pain having to remove it to view footage but in reality if you need to see an incident you'd be remving it to give to the police.

Now we just need to force Arlo, by putting our money where our mouths are, and make them implement the ability to access hub USB recordings directly using the app.

Typeofgreen
Initiate
Initiate

I’ve had the same issue for an entire year now. No amount of factory resets and app reinstalls fix it. Very frustrated at Arlos lack of addressing the issue.

Finngalkn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here, and has been for a long time.

I keep adding new cameras, last one in December 2022 (also firmware update).

The system tags the clips correctly with “animal” or “vehicle “ but I don’t want to receive notifications about them.

Tried all kinds of resets and reverting settings…

Quite annoying.

I’ve now contacted service directly, let’s see…

It is a problem on the server side, as the clips are being tagged correctly, but not filtered 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Finngalkn,

The Smart filters will only suppress push notifications, not recordings. You'll still receive recordings of all types, regardless of your smart notification settings.

JamesC

Finngalkn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JamesC

It looks like it’s working now.

Regards,

Einar