Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Random Arlo Smart notification delays on Android

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Mili
Aspirant
Aspirant

I upgraded to the Arlo Smart sub and now I'm seeing random delays on the notifications. Some times it is more or less instant and sometimes it us up towards a 30 minute delay. It also differs between phones, one might get it instant and one with a big delay, you never know which. Looking through the forum this seems to have been an issue for a while now so my question is, is there an way of resolving it? Rebooting, reinstalling and adding and removing cameras doesn't seem to do anything so I'm hoping someone has found an actual fix. 

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue is usually due to the battery optimization setting for the app in the phone settings. Set the app to not be optimized. The delay can still be significant due to the phone being asleep but the setting should help.

Mili
Aspirant
Aspirant

All kinds of optimization of the app has been turned off since a while back and notifications seemed to work fine when it wasn't on the smart sub. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've found that generally the use of Smart delays notifications. Disabling Smart on the camera returns to the rapid push notification.

Mili
Aspirant
Aspirant

The strange thing with Smart creating delays is that it varies from device to device. I initially thought that there might be a processing delay on server side but that doesn't seem to be the case instead it is something funky with the push of notifications when Smart is enabled. To me this is so odd since it is the pay service and therefore should work better than the free one. 

I must say I really like the functions of it and would definitely pay for it if it actually worked, but now, not so much. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The thing is that if you have both a i phone and a android and they come right through on the i phone but not the android, it wouldn't seem to be smart that is the cause.   AT&T gave me a new S10+ for my 6 month old S10+ and the problem remained so they tested it for more than an hour and every app notification worked except Arlo.  They said it's the app that has the issue.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @LandJS

What version of the Arlo mobile app are you using?

Mili
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm currently on version 2.9.2_26040 on both phones. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I'm on the 10/14 release 2.9.2_26040

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

If your asking me.  I have five cases with Arlo support and have been through all their checks.  Been through all the checks and resets with Samsung 3 times.  They finally said take it in to a shop and probably get a re furbished or talk to my provider.  AT&T kindly gave me a brand new S10+ for my 6 month old one but it was the same.  So they took physical control of my phone for more than a hour for testing.  I watched as they checked every phone setting and tested apps that send notifications and everything worked except Arlo.  They said it's the Arlo app and can only be fixed by Arlo.  It works great if I wake my phone every 5 mins. or plug it in with the never sleep when plugged in  turned on.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@LandJS

Have you tried to remove the camera(s) from Settings > Smart Notifications > Inactive List > Back to active list > test your notifications again?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The phone app will only allow me to move one phone to inactive and then it will not allow anymore movement either way.  I uninstalled and re installed the app but it's still the same.  So I did it on my computer.  Moved all six to inactive, logged out and back in, moved them back to active, waited for the phone to go to sleep mode and wandered past two cameras.  My wife's i phone picked it right up but no notification on my S10+ until I woke it up

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Thank You

Mili
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great to hear that it is being investigated. Would love to keep the Smart features since I really like them, when they work...

xroadsbass
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just cancelled Smart Plan since the delays are crazy long. For any one reading, I'd avoid smart plans or even the system if you think you may want a plan in the future. I'll keep the free plan for now... if another system is made that does something similar, I'll jump on that.