Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not able to access local storage videos of Pro Base station Pro 4500 outside home network

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BalajiN
Follower
Follower

Hi Team,

Am using Arlo products from last 2 years and I started using local storage connected to the base station. As per the base station configuration page, I understand that using VPN we can access the local storage outside the home network.

I have VPN on my mobile, but I am not able to access the local storage with the VPN.  It always throw an error stating "check connection settings" and when I click on that it takes me to Arlo subscription plans. But I want to access the local storage from the network via VPN.

Does anyone have a solution for this ? Please share if there is one.

Thank you,

Regards,

Balaji

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Can you check the model number for the base station is correct?

look at the label under the unit.

Only the arlo smart hubs 4540/5000 have the direct access to backup storage unfortunately.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BalajiN wrote:

I understand that using VPN we can access the local storage outside the home network.

It depends on how the VPN is set up.  Many people use VPNs for privacy (Nord, expressVPN, etc).  Those won't work for this, because they aren't designed to connect your phone to your home network.

Several high-end routers include a built-in VPN service that can be used for remote access.   That is what the Arlo KB article is suggesting as an alternative to port forwarding.  My Orbi has OpenVPN, which is what I use.