Star
Star

Hi Folks,

I have the following on an Arlo Smart plan:

Base VMB3010r2

Repeater VMB4000r3

2 Q Cameras VMC3040r6

8 Cameras H7

I am interested in adding the Arlo doorbell, but since my plan only allows 10 cameras, and I’m at the 10, is the doorbell considered an separate device or do I need to retire one of my 10 cameras?  Thanks!

Mark 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MA_GA wrote:

On a different topic, my cameras frequently go offline.  Do the new cameras not require a base and “stay online better” with a strong WiFi signal?   

It's been quite a few years since I used a VMC3030, and I don't recall it's wifi performance well enough to compare it with newer cameras.

The newest cameras (Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, Pro 5s, Video Doorbells, and Essential Cameras) can all connect to your home wifi directly w/o a base.  

That can be useful if you have a wifi mesh (or an equivilent setup to give full house wifi coverage).

Pro 3 and Ultras do need to connect to a hub.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MA_GA wrote:

Repeater VMB4000r3

FYI, this is not a repeater.  It is a second base.

H numbers are hardware revisions - many camera models share the same H revision numbers. 

Not sure if your "H7" cameras are VMC3030s, VMB4030s, or VMB4030Ps, but if they are connected to a VMB3010 base they are legacy cameras.   You can tell for sure by opening the housing and removing the batteries.  You'll find a label inside.

@MA_GA wrote:

since my plan only allows 10 cameras, and I’m at the 10, is the doorbell considered an separate device or do I need to retire one of my 10 cameras? 

The doorbell camera does need to be a subscription plan.

You can re-subscribe to Arlo Secure, which would give you unlimited cameras.  Arlo will at some point switch you over to Secure anyway.

You can alternatively  remove one of the legacy cameras from the subscription.  It will still get 7 days of free cloud storage, so you don't need to retire it.

MA_GA
Star
Star

Thanks for the clarification, Stephen.   My wireless cameras are all VMC3030’s.   (All my cameras are soon EOL).

On a different topic, my cameras frequently go offline.  Do the new cameras not require a base and “stay online better” with a strong WiFi signal?   

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MA_GA wrote:

It's been quite a few years since I used a VMC3030, and I don't recall it's wifi performance well enough to compare it with newer cameras.

The newest cameras (Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, Pro 5s, Video Doorbells, and Essential Cameras) can all connect to your home wifi directly w/o a base.  

That can be useful if you have a wifi mesh (or an equivilent setup to give full house wifi coverage).

Pro 3 and Ultras do need to connect to a hub.