Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Expected battery life and multiple viewers

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jasper80
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased this to monitor my 95 year old aunts because she is almost blind and suffers with dementia.  It is positioned inside her hallway facing the front door.  It is set up and working so far but I would like to know:

1.  What is the expected battery life? 

2.  My aunt goes to her front door to check it is locked around 20 times a day so how long might the batteries last under these circumstances?

3.  I have the app on my phone but when I go away I would like my sister to receive notifications so she can review and assist if required.  If she downloads the app too will she be able to create an account for the same camera under her name?  This is key to our requirements and in the Currys store we were advised this would be possible but I wanted to check with you before proceeding as I do not want the unit to stop working?

I also have 1 negative piece of feedback, the camera does not stay in position and slips down the magnetic ball so I have had to put a bit of bluetak underneath it to stop this from happening.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Spec battery life for the original cameras you seem to have is 4-6 months with <5 minutes per day of total recording and live viewing. Keeping your recordings short will help but may not be what you need. There are other things that can cause battery depletion such as signal strength and quality.

2) That's the tough one. If we assume 20x and your recordings are for 10 seconds, you're under the 5 minutes for spec life.

3) The easy way to do this is to use Settings, Grant Access to her email address. She should follow the emailed directions carefully. Once the app is installed and she has logged in, both of you can be on at the same time without kicking the other off. You can set her up for email notifications in your modes and rules. If you have push notifications enabled, both of you will get those - it's a global setting. She can turn notifications off in the phone settings for the app if she wishes.

The slippage is unusual for the original cameras. Make sure both the wall mount ball and the rubber-ish surface of the camera are clean. Some denatured alcohol may help. It was the Pro cameras, being heavier, that had initial slippage issues until they redid the surface of the mount. A piece of ballon or your solution would be the workarounds although you could contact support and see if they would send you another mount.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Spec battery life for the original cameras you seem to have is 4-6 months with <5 minutes per day of total recording and live viewing. Keeping your recordings short will help but may not be what you need. There are other things that can cause battery depletion such as signal strength and quality.

2) That's the tough one. If we assume 20x and your recordings are for 10 seconds, you're under the 5 minutes for spec life.

3) The easy way to do this is to use Settings, Grant Access to her email address. She should follow the emailed directions carefully. Once the app is installed and she has logged in, both of you can be on at the same time without kicking the other off. You can set her up for email notifications in your modes and rules. If you have push notifications enabled, both of you will get those - it's a global setting. She can turn notifications off in the phone settings for the app if she wishes.

The slippage is unusual for the original cameras. Make sure both the wall mount ball and the rubber-ish surface of the camera are clean. Some denatured alcohol may help. It was the Pro cameras, being heavier, that had initial slippage issues until they redid the surface of the mount. A piece of ballon or your solution would be the workarounds although you could contact support and see if they would send you another mount.

Jasper80
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for replying so quickly.  I have since found a set of batteries and charger that might be worth investing in but I have also read mixed reviews about them not lasting as long as 1 time use batteries.  I will buy another set of single use as back up and monitor the existing batteries to see how long they last.

Thank you also for the additional user information which I will set up now,