Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

I do not want to have to navigate my way out of Arlo's popups when I want to view my Library or Live Feeds. This very unsubtle advertising blitz shows no respect for your existing customers and only makes them want to avoid Arlo at their next purchase. The first popup asks me if I want to activate cloud storage. I do NOT and click the "MAYBE LATER" button. This only triggers another popup asking me to subscribe to Arlo Smart (See under for images of popups). Please Arlo concentrate on attracting NEW customers rather than annoying the hell out of existing customers or is that too hard for you!Arlo popup.JPGArlo Web Portal_Smart Home Security.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Chris67,

Is this happening on the Arlo app on your phone device or the web client on your computer? If this is happening on the Arlo app, could you let us know which phone device and OS version you are running on? And if this is happening on the web client on your computer, could you let us know which browser you're experiencing this problem on?

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Hi JessicaP

I am using Google Chrome Version 83.0.4103.97 (64 bit) on Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build 18363.836

Arlo Version is 2.17.0_4

These popups do not happen every time I login to the Arlo web interface. They happen every 4th or 5th time. They appear to be targeted and intentional.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry, I forgot to mention this only happens when using my computer. The phone app does not appear to receive the popups but I do not use the phone app very much.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for this information. I'll share your feedback about this to the relevant team. 

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

To be clear, this is the sequence of events (popups) when I go to view my library on my up-to-date Windows 10 computer using latest Chrome browser.

1. Receive first popup "The best view around with the best plan around."

2. Click maybe later and receive second popup "Arlo Smart"

3. Navigate back to library because there is no opportunity to dismiss this popup and then I receive third popup "Cloud storage keeps all your clips secure".

4. Click maybe later and am finally returned to my Library without further popups.

These popups seem to be designed to occur every 4th or 5th day or perhaps every 4th or 5th time I open my browser to view my Library from the day before. They should STOP.

Here is the sequence of events in pics:

Arlo popup (1) 07-06-2020.JPGArlo popup (2) 07-06-2020.JPGArlo popup (3) 07-06-2020.JPG

Mitcon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jessica:

I will try piggybacking on this thread instead of starting a redundant thread.

I'm seeing the same symptoms here. I do not see the popups on my Android pad, only when I access my account from my Debian Linux desktop using Firefox 78.5.0esr. This problem started sometime earlier this year and it is REALLY annoying!

I DO NOT wish to upgrade to use the cloud for my storage! I check my camera activity daily, so if I see any interesting video, I download it to my own Arlo Video Archive Library on my local NAS storage (wish you guys would let me do this in a more efficient manner - I have 10s of TB storage locally). PLEASE, give us an option "No Thanks" to stop the popups. Give us this in addition to the "Maybe Later" option which, if selected, would ask us again.

Now on to the other popup I'm getting. This one is actually a good idea. I also get a popup asking me if I would like to learn about "Cross Triggering". I love cross triggering! I do camera > light, light > camera, camera > camera, etal. Unfortunately only the cross triggering hint comes up! Broaden the topics! Could be useful for new Arlo users.

I see alot of negative comments online. I, however, LOVE your system! I have not seen most of the problems reported, and the ones I have seen I have figured a solution myself. I recommend your system to Friends and Family all the time.

Keep up the good work!

Baelzharon
Guide
Guide

This topic has been discussed before.  Arlo marketing seems to think it's AoK to sell us expensive cameras and then spam the app that you use to view possible life threatening situations happening in real time.  Got someone breaking into your house?  Well, make sure to sign up for our premium service before we show you the soon to be rapist enter your front door.

It's black friday.  My advice, find another security solution.  This has been happening since March and they don't care.