Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

kylewallace
Star
Star

Hello, is someone from Arlo able to provide an update on custom notification sounds for iOS? Been a few years since I asked so thought I would check again 😉

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hey @kylewallace

Thanks for the follow-up. I will be sure to provide an announcement if this feature is released.

108 REPLIES 108
Creekernana
Star
Star
Please fix option for sound notifications to be customizable on IOS phones. A must for security feature to alert when sleeping!
Django68
Tutor
Tutor

IOS users there is a solution to better notifications -  There is a free way to get receive a phone call when arlo is trigerred. This uses the IFTTT app ('if this then that' automation app) - took me 5 minutes to set up and it works great.

- download IFTTT app from appstore and register

- open app

- select 'create' - this will start the creation of the applet (automation process)

- next to 'if this', select 'add'

-in search bar type arlo and select

-select your trigger

-select ' create' trigger'

- next to 'then that' select 'add'

- in search bar type 'voip' and select 'Voip calls'

-select 'call my device'

- select 'create action'

that's it ! make sure your arlo is armed for this to work

you need to create a separate applet for each device that is armed

I noticed that the phone rings only when the screen is off/locked mode. Otherwise I just get a notification banner

kylewallace
Star
Star

Hello all, just wanted to share my workaround for custom iOS notification sounds for smart alerts (detection of person, vehicle etc). This won’t work for everyone but it might help some. The solution relies on email notifications to the mail app, which are then flagged as VIP mail which triggers a custom sound. You will have issues if you are already using the VIP feature of mail.

To receive custom alerts:

- Go into your Arlo app and under each rule for motion detection turn on email alerts (make sure they are going to your email address attached to your mail app). You can leave push notifications on.

- Adjust your smart notifications in the app for whatever suits you (I.e I have turned off animals for mine).

- Trigger an alert, you will receive the alert email fairly quickly (but check your junk too). It should come from “Arlo Alerts”.

- Open the email, click on the sender and choose the option to make them a VIP

- Go to your iPhone settings app > mail > notifications > customise notifications > VIP > turn on Alerts and choose a sound (I use Presto)

- Trigger an alert and confirm that you receive a VIP email with custom alert.

That’s it!

One problem I had is that Arlo was sending me animal and other alerts that I had turned off in Smart Alerts (I think this is a known and reported issue on this forum). To counteract that I went into my mail app in the browser and made a custom rule to delete specific emails automatically (e.g “Animal detected” in subject line). I use Outlook mail so this was fairly straightforward but it might not work for you.

Another solution you could try, which I have not tested, is to have the email alerts sent to a custom email address that you set up only for Arlo alerts. Get a seperate email app that allows changing the notification sound and attach that email to it. Worth a shot.

This will have to do until Arlo pick up their game and tackle custom iOS notification sounds (and fix the smart detection issue).

Allanashley1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
I would like to change the notification sound on the Arlo app but the option is not available,
Version is 3.6.3
Any ideas?
Konakid
Guide
Guide

They have promised to add this feature to the IOS App for almost 2 years now. It used to be a problem with Apple and Emergency Override - but now it would be an easy addition of some code to their App.

Being awakened by a prowler alert while you are sleeping and phone is in Do Not Disturb is still only available on Android. And why I will be leaving Arlo system as soon as can.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Konakid wrote:

They have promised to add this feature to the IOS App for almost 2 years now.

Many users definitely want the feature, and I agree it is needed.  But I haven't seen such a promise - can you provide a link?

Konakid
Guide
Guide

Sorry - don't have time to look. But I have seen several replies in forum posts from well over a year ago that said it was coming. Try a search.

And I have received at least four replies via support indicating it was being worked on and "coming soon." I have checked with support every 3-4 months for close to two years now and keep getting the same "promise." It is crazy that Arlo makes it impossible to distinguish between a prowler alert and just another text message.

At least iOS now has several options to bypass Do Not Disturb now. So I can turn phone off at night and still receive Emergency Notifications that I choose. But still the short default text tone that Arlo gives us is useless for waking us or letting us know it is from Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Konakid wrote:

Sorry - don't have time to look. But I have seen several replies in forum posts from well over a year ago that said it was coming. Try a search.

I did, and never saw a reply like that from Arlo here.

Konakid
Guide
Guide

I admit - the search feature leaves a lot to be desired.

Here is just one topic almost 7 years old and 71 pages long requesting the ability to differentiate between a prowler and a regular text message on iOS. Along with requests for a louder/louder sound to awaken someone in an emergency. The issue with by-passing Do Not Disturb in emergency mode while sleeping was finally solved by Apple programing. 

It may be in this thread where there is a comment about the intent to address this. If it isn't, then this is even worse - no response to what people are screaming for.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Custom-alert-sounds-for-Android-iOS/idi-p/874#comme...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Konakid wrote:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Custom-alert-sounds-for-Android-iOS/idi-p/874#comme...

Yes, I saw and reviewed that thread.  No statements I see in it from Arlo that they were going to deliver the feature.  

@Konakid wrote:

If it isn't, then this is even worse - no response to what people are screaming for.

Personally I think its worse to promise something and then not deliver.  That said, I agree it is a useful feature that many people want.  

@Konakid wrote:

I admit - the search feature leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes.  Googling with "site:community.arlo.com" in the search string generally works a lot better.

Konakid
Guide
Guide

Ok - can't say they promised to absolutely do it by a specific date - but in support tickets (which I did not save), and if I remember correctly - reading in some public replies, they said they would submit it to their developers and try to integrate it in the future since it has been requested so often. And how they realized what an important addition it would be. Getting the identical response year after year is almost the same as breaking a promise.

But more importantly, there has never been a follow up explaining why the "developers" have not programed it into the App. From developers I have talked to, this is a fairly easy addition to any iOS App and lots of third party Apps offer unique or even several choices of notification tones. Just leaving the default test tone as the only sound is just lazy or cheap.

I can recognize a boiler plate reply meant to sound customer friendly, with a low or no probability of ever actually making it happen.

Konakid
Guide
Guide
DogsRule
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get notifications while on DND because Apple provides the ability to select which apps or contacts to still receive notifications from.  Leave android, not Arlo. 😉

Derrickt169
Initiate
Initiate

There needs to be an option to choose a different notification sound within the Arlo app on devices that operate within the iOS system. From what I have read this is an option for those who use Android-based systems. When my device goes into do not disturb each evening the default notification does not suffice! We need the option to choose a notification sound that will let us know there is something going on that needs our attention. This may seem trivial to some but I would think this should be a high priority level for Arlo developers. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Dannybear
Master
Master

I totally agree, unfortunately arlo has been historically deaf, mute and dumb regards the iOS feature.

Alas this thread will sink into the depths of the void under the ocean’s ever rising customer complaints. 

ShelbyGTR
Initiate
Initiate

It is ridiculous that Arlo still has not addressed the problem with not being able to change to a unique push notification sound on an IPhone. I need a unique alarm sound to alert me if someone is prowling around my house at night. Please address this immediately.

Dannybear
Master
Master

You can always email askarlo@arlo.com with your suggestion.

Alternatively leave a review where you got the app, they seem to respond more often.

You also have the BBB if you feel you have been ripped off.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @kylewallace

Thanks for the follow-up. I will be sure to provide an announcement if this feature is released.

kylewallace
Star
Star

Thanks Shane. Respectfully, the team have had years to implement such a simple feature. How they have managed to avoid it is beyond me. We shall continue to wait with bated breath 😞

Creekernana
Star
Star

Agree, this should have been addressed years ago. 

Creekernana
Star
Star

This is unacceptable in my opinion that Arlo released a new update and did not address the notification sound issue for IOS users. I for one will make certain I post about this in all of the Arlo reviews so that IOS users will think twice before purchasing Arlo. They have had complaints for years and have not resolved this. Maybe their sales need to hurt them

ElaineFrank
Initiate
Initiate

I am a senior citizen and purchased these cameras three years ago for security. I am living alone, and I cannot believe that Ila would upgrade and not let me know that the notifications will not work with an iOS iPhone, since the upgrade! Shame on you.

MEyou18
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

Thank you for your work around for the lack of custom sounds on IOS. I used it and it works flawlessly. I used a previous workaround involving converting the e mail notification to a text where you can select a custom sound. Your solution is simpler and the response time is faster. However the recent EOL announcement by ARLO includes an EOL date for e mail notifications of 4-1-23. Unless someone can think of something else this precludes any chance of a custom sound for IOS.

As many posts have said, the lack of a custom sound makes the whole ARLO system useless and to me dangerous as a personal guardian while sleeping or distracted. This issue has been out there for years and apparently ARLO does not care about the 50% of potential customers that own Apple products.

I now have 7 ARLO cameras, three of which are new, that are useless as a security device. I presume there is no point to contacting ARLO as they are well aware of this issue.

I am curious how other IOS users are dealing with this problem. Are they all just resigned to having a system that only partially works? Would like to hear from them.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MEyou18 wrote:

I am curious how other IOS users are dealing with this problem. Are they all just resigned to having a system that only partially works? Would like to hear from them.

FWIW, my iphone is generally in silent mode anyway, so custom notification sounds wouldn't be that useful for me.

Though for me the cameras are mostly to provide situational awareness, I am all that concerned about missing notifications.

I'm not saying the feature wouldn't have value, just that it's not something I need myself.

MarkSilver
Tutor
Tutor

Very very sad that I can't have a custom notification sound from the Arlo app. Without it, knowing that someone is at my front door is just like any other notification sound and defeats the whole point of having this technology.