Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I recently purchased a Arlo Pro 3 two camera kit. I am trying to understand what the impact of the recent Arlo Smart Changes with associated to Camera limits for Arlo.

I have had 3 Arlo Q's and 2 Arlo Pro 2's for a while. Before this recent change to the Arlo Smart  Plans I kind of expected to just get the Arlo Smart Priemier plan to enable 10 cameras for the pro 3's i recently purchased. This Arlo Smart plan change has well made me unhappy to say the least. But today i saw this in the documentation for Arlo Smart.  To me what this says is very interesting.

Simply put it looks as though with Arlo Pro 2 and below you are limited to 5 cameras with 7 day cloud recording. The Pro3 and Ultra have no camera limitations, but get no cloud recording. 

So with that understanding does mean I can use my 5 cameras and additional Pro 3 cameras and just use the local storage for whatever pro 3 cameras i get and not worry about the 5 camera limit with the older cameras? Does anyone know if you can just pick and choose what cameras you want Arlo Smart on?  

10 REPLIES 10
Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Maverick

I too am disappointed by what appears to be an arbitrary decision to restrict the number of cameras on any one (non business) account to 5 cameras.  For those who have loyally expanded their arlo collection over several years this is a particularly savage blow.

I wonder what went through the minds of the policy makers at arlo when this decision was made?  One thing is certain.  It was not focused on existing customer needs.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I spent some time today going through other companies options. The sad part is before this recent change it was fairly competitive. But some of those other companies are redoing their pricing structures to be a better deal. ARLO IS DOING THE OPPOSITE. One company next year will provide 15 days CVR and 30 or 60 day motion retention for your whole home for just $12 a month.

The only redeeming thing i can see from this ordeal if it is a lead up to local storage access on the base stations as promised for the pro 3 and ultra. If i can add thise cameras and have local storage then frankly i can care less about the smart plans.
Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

Hi again Mavvrick and other interested parties

We have invested around $8k Aus so far on Arlo products.  The latest announcement by Alro about their new "simplified" (read: "severely restricted and unworkable")  plans have just about chopped us off at the knees.  In terms of loyalty to existing customers this is truly appalling behavior, even for arlo. 

Arlo do mention that those on the previously offered plans will remain so, and for that I am somewhat grateful, but to restrict the deployment of all our existing hardware to the existing configurations is totally unacceptable.

Up until this most distasteful development arlo seemed to have really got its act together in relation to "smart" notifications.  The number of false alarms due to insects and such in the middle of the night have been greatly reduced of late due to the "smart" add-on.

Its really sad to see these improvements being completely overshadowed by a decision to restrict "non business" accounts to the much heralded and fabulous new 5 camera accounts.  Does arlo only ever want to sell 5 cameras to each client?

As of today I, and probably many other long term arlo customers will be evaluating the up-and-coming competitors who will probably eventually overtake arlo due to its bloody-mindedness and farcical support regime.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @Mavrrick

You can pick which cameras you would like activated under the Smart Subscription. Your original (legacy) cameras/Original wire free, Q, Q plus, Pro, Pro 2 will remain under the smart plan you started as long as you don't change it.

Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Shayne

I fail to see what benefit there is for us to be able to choose which cameras we can de-activate!

When spin is applied to the indefensible it becomes somewhat tiring.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I think the question i was trying to figure out has been missed.

So let me put it this way. If i have my 3 Arlo Q cameras and my 2 arlo pro 2 cameras on the free plan can i also have my 2 pro 3 cameras on the no subscription plan and active for local recording to a usb drive? I know it wouldn't go to the cloud, but if it records locally that may be ok. The way i read the article i linked kind of indicates that would be possible.

I am just trying to figure out if the smart service would need the addtional functionality on the cameras.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mavrrick wrote:
 If i have my 3 Arlo Q cameras and my 2 arlo pro 2 cameras on the free plan can i also have my 2 pro 3 cameras on the no subscription plan and active for local recording to a usb drive? 

Not sure how this is accomplished within a single account on the new plans.

But you can certainly put the 3 Qs on a different account and grant access from that account to the main one.  That would give put everything on the free plan (using access to local storage on the Pro3s ).

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Yea. But there is good reason to keep it all in one.

Based on what i posted from the KB it looks like it should be possible if the backend logic is there. I mean they are clearly stating the rules for the two groups of cameras are different. The question is is arlo system allowing the account management to recognise that.
Gav1393
Initiate
Initiate
Have switched across to a Eufy system with 6 cameras and can go higher. All free. Will be getting rid of the Arlo system ASAP.
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I just preordered 2 of the new Eufy 2k cameras. Going to see how they measure up to the Arlo Q and then they may be replaced. The deal is just to good to pass up for my use case i believe. Once you add considerations for CVR i just dont see how it is close based on what is on paper. It will be interesting to see how the experience goes. The Pro 3 and the Ultra give Arlo a leg up right now, but it may not be lomg before that is toast as well if the keep up the pace they are.