Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
SusanMarie
Follower
Follower

I’ve been researching the new security lights and it mentions that a bridge is included.  Can you give some more information on the ideal placement of that part, how and what it needs to be plugged into or if it uses a battery, and its purpose?  I’d rather not make assumptions before I invest and add the lights to my four Arlo Pro 2 cameras.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shrick,

The Arlo Bridge must be used to connect your Arlo Security Light to your home WiFi.

For more information on the Arlo Security Light, take a look at this thread: Top 10 Reasons to Love the Arlo Security Light

JamesC

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This product while new and not released yet has a bit of information on Amazon as a pre sale...

The Bridge ( from picture ) plugs into an outlet in your home... It connects to your wifi and then the Bridge has contact to the Lights.

The Bridge allows info from the Lights to get to the wifi system for alerts/notifications

Educated guessing,  the Bridge is the normal 2.4 ghz like an extender, range would be limited ( from lights to bridge ) like typical wifi and all depends on the materials the signal goes thru.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Shrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why, why, why do I need a bridge?! Just have the lights connect to the standard Arlo Pro base please!! I do not want another intermediate device (point of failure), from the same company and same product range in my house. I mean, the logical way would just be to connect it to whats already in my house!? Why did you create the so called 'Bridge', and, I really hope its not a requirement to have these lights to work. E.g. I have Arlo Pro systems in places where its running on 12V DC solar power, I do not have AC power there. I'd really like to use these lights at these places, but now this new bridge of yours that require AC power... 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shrick,

The Arlo Bridge must be used to connect your Arlo Security Light to your home WiFi.

For more information on the Arlo Security Light, take a look at this thread: Top 10 Reasons to Love the Arlo Security Light

JamesC

GBSea
Guide
Guide

Specific reason: to allow your lights to communicate with your router that connects you to the Internet via ISP.

So important note here: your router must have WiFi capability to use this product, meaning:

1. Your router can be connected via cable to the internet (i.e.: to your cable wall connector or to the phone-line if you have DSL).

2. Your router must be capable to offer/provide WiFi (and not just network cable) connection to devices that acces / need to access the Internet from your home.

If you use two routers to connect to the internet (personally, I consider it a very minimum level of security, never allow your ISP to have direct access to your WiFi connected devices!), then the router that connects to your ISP's router/modem is setup as a Bridge.  Arlo's Bridge included with the lights has the same connectivity type function (with exception of level of security and many other features typically included with actual routers, whether or not you set them up as primary router or just a bridfge).

I hope this makes sense and asnwers your question.

mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does the bridge create a separate 2.4 GHz network just for the lights, much like the Arlo base station does for the cameras?

BihtSift
Initiate
Initiate
That's a shame. I'll be passing then due to poor design. If we have a base station, new devices should use the base station with a firmware update.
jcbrown59
Guide
Guide

The Arlo™ Lights use Bluetooth™.  It Will Not Have the Range of Arlo™ Base Station WiFi.

Attempted Firmware Update Bricked my Arlo™ Bridge.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcbrown59,

What behavior are you seeing from the bridge that indicates an issue?

JamesC

jcbrown59
Guide
Guide

The Arlo™ Bridge Connected to WiFi before Doing Arlo™ Bridge Firmware Update.  The Arlo™ Bridge Firmware Update Failed.  Now the Arlo™ Bridge Wouldn't Connect to WiFi.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcbrown59,

What is the LED beahvior on the bridge?

What do the LEDs on my Arlo Security Light system mean?

JamesC

jcbrown59
Guide
Guide

Initially Blinking Blue, then it is No LED Lights.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds like the bridge is connected and ready to go. What are you seeing in your Arlo app? Do you have a light synced with the bridge?

JamesC

jcbrown59
Guide
Guide

Trying to Connect to WiFi.  Never Completes.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcbrown59,

It might be best to start from scratch. Log in to your Arlo app and remove the bridge from Settings > My Devices > select bridge > Remove Device.

After it's been removed, perform a factory reset on the bridge by following the instructions here (under the fifth bullet): I can’t set up the Arlo Bridge that came with my Arlo Light Security system; what do I do? Follow steps 1-5 to complete the factory reset and set up the bridge again on your Arlo account.

JamesC

jcbrown59
Guide
Guide

Arlo™ Bridge Wasn't Linked.  Factory Reset Fixed Previous Firmware Update Failure.  Good to Go.

jcbrown59
Guide
Guide

Arlo™ Security Light Matches the Range of Arlo™ Security Camera.  Arlo™ Bridge/Bluetooth® is for Syncing and Linking to Arlo™ Base Station.

wimmpyiii
Tutor
Tutor

I know lets design it so it doesnt work with anything they have now. "We will build yet another box!"

imean2007
Aspirant
Aspirant
Do you need a Arlo bridge for these lights to work? Or do they work with a existing netgear terminal?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@imean2007 wrote:
Do you need a Arlo bridge for these lights to work? Or do they work with a existing netgear terminal?

Yes you do....

The Bridge links the lights to the wifi router.

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation