Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions about Arlo Security Light

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
yokibagam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking for an outdoor floodlight that I can control with my phone. My backyard is approximately .5 acres and I'm looking for a light I can easily turn on and off with my phone when I take the dog out (we had a skunk incident ~ 2 weeks ago).

I've already got a couple of Arlo Pro 2 cameras, so I figured this could be an easy solution to work with what I have.

Is it possible to hardwire the light so I don't have to remove it to charge the light?

How do you find the brightness? I'm not looking for daytime brightness, but not extreme darkness in the yard.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yokibagam wrote:

I'm looking for an outdoor floodlight that I can control with my phone. My backyard is approximately .5 acres and I'm looking for a light I can easily turn on and off with my phone when I take the dog out (we had a skunk incident ~ 2 weeks ago).

The security light (AL1101) is old (legacy) and only provides 400 lumens of output - about the same as a 40 watt incandescent bulb.

The Arlo Floodlight camera could do what you need (providing 2000 lumens on battery, and 3000 lumens if you connect to the Arlo outdoor charger).  The light can be triggered from your phone.  While it can be connected to the outdoor charger, it can't be hardwired.  Like all new Arlo cameras, you'd need a subscription for cloud storage.

It is a fairly expensive option (list is $250 USD) if you don't care about the camera.  You might see what it would cost to get someone to wire an outlet box for an ordinary floodlight for your home.  There are several app-controlled floodlights from other companies that are less expensive, and perhaps better suited to what you need.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation