Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BillPDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have heard rumors, and seen steps taken by some retailers, that Arlo Lights may be on their way out. (New Arlo lights only for $15, including shipping.) If that is true, I would like to suggest Arlo/Netgear not fully abandon that technology. Dump the LED lighting, reduce the size and turn it into a pure motion detector. Improve integration with the likes of Alexa and IFTTT etc. (activating lighting, music etc) And you will have a desirable product. The last time I searched, there wasn't a decent wireless outdoor motion smart sensor made. 

As it is, I use two Arlo Lights, lighting disabled, to trigger different sets of cameras to record. The lights are placed in a more advantageous location to be tripped by someone walking past them at 90 degrees instead of headon, as my cameras are positioned. Results in having several earlier seconds of action recorded, compared to the cameras alone reacting. An added benefit, as the lights communicate with their own base, they utilize low power Bluetooth and battery power consumption is low. One of my lights has been up about three months now. Armed nearly 100% of the time. It still shows 100% charge. My cameras can be at rest. 

I am considering purchasing the Arlo Chime as well. Setting unique tones for each light, letting me know which one has been tripped without having to grab my phone. That will allow me to know which camera to view on my Echo Spots. 

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've heard nothing about lights being dropped. No idea why they would do that. 

Also, the only sound I see being available for the chime is the siren, not unique sounds.

BillPDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both Best Buy and Costco had been selling full 3 light kits ($100+/-) for far less than the retail cost of three batteries. Amazon is selling the kits for $150+/-.  Costco has now removed the SKU. Per a local Costco manager, there is no inventory and the unsold kits went back to Arlo. Costco will not offer them again. EBay and others are selling new lights only - $15 to $22 per, including shipping. Per one retailer, the lights are new, but have been taken out of kits. Perhaps they are only from the broken down Costco kits. Something is up. If they were in high demand, they wouldn't be dumping the stuff.

Per Arlo tech support, one can assign any one of the chime's 20+ tones uniquely to individual Arlo devices. The chime can be associated with the Lights. Exactly why I am watching for it to go on sale. For $30, give or take, it's a toy I'd add to my system, not $50.

Again, the main purpose of my comment was to suggest they come up with an outdoor motion detector, based on the Smart Light technology and improve its integration into people's smart homes. Produce something stealthier,  smaller in size, than that bulky light, which provides insufficient illumination as it is. Illumination comment is based on my observations and numerous reviews. Don't abandon the technology, build on it.

PS Just because that was my first posting, please don't assume I am new to Arlo. I have been using them for several years.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We don't know how experienced anyone is without them telling us. Also, even experiemced users make mistakes (I do).  Finally, as an experienced user, surely you've seen the announcements of future enhancements to the Arlo environment, including sensors.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary

Where have you heard new lights are coming?

BillPDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

How about assuming people know what they are talking about? Particularly when their comments aren't in the form of a question. Yes you do. Yes I have. 

BillPDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

I said nothing about new lights. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation