Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a 1st Gen arlo wire free base station with 3 cameras , do I need anything additional to sync an arlo light to my base station ? If I just buy an arlo light alone , can I use my base station?

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The Arlo Security Light requires the Security Light Bridge. The bridge connects to the light via Bluetooth. The bridge connects to your home wifi. Only through the cloud do the cameras and lights communicate. Don't ask me why they did it this way

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@steve_t wrote:

Don't ask me why they did it this way

Something about the range of low power bluetooth?

By binding several lights on to one bridge, it is also a way of cutting down the number of wifi clients that a router has to handle.

Over on the routers community there is a growing stream of messages about the explosion in IoT stuff running up against the limits when it comes to the number of wifi clients that a router can handle. Who knows if this is related to the hubs?

But it would be nice to know what the engineers behind these things had in mind.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:
Something about the range of low power bluetooth?

The range is a theoretical 160 feet/50 meters.

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2011/dec/bluetooth-goes-ultra-low-power

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

My one light is a good 75 ft from the bridge and works fine...  so it could possibly go a bit more,

there is a signal indicator.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice
So the "bridge" is something additional to the base station that my cameras connect to? Thanks
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @TheWater24,

You're correct! In order to use your Arlo Security Light, you will need to sync with the Security Light Bridge (not the Base Station) as steve_t mentions.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation