Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
chimmmy1974
Follower
Follower

Having the exact same issue as this chap. I've reinstalled then 3x. All set up correctly, all firmware up to date, but they fail to detect any motion and turn on. The motion detect test is fine but in armed or scheduled they just don't turn on in any light/ dark setting.

Any clues ?

Arlo Security Lights not turning on

Hi there.  My security lights are not turning on.

1. I have set them up exactly the way they should be.

2. They are in close range of the bridge (each light status even says they are connected)

3. I tested using the motion test (yellow light if detecting motion) and they are super sensitive and see everything.

4. When I save all my settings and manually turn on and off the lights once, the motion on the lights works great for a bit.  I'll walk around and they turn on for the pre-determined time I have set with no issues. 

5. By the second night, they don't work anymore.

I will have to go in and manually turn them on and off again for them to maybe start working again.  

What's the story here?  Pretty expensive system to not do what it's supposed to do...turn on a light.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SoCalGuy1
Tutor
Tutor

My problem turned out to be the Dusk to Dawn setting set to only activate the light when dark; adjusting that fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Sarath_Inampudi
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

What is your current firmware on the Bridge and Light respectively? It's possible your system hasn't upgraded yet.

Sarath_Inampudi
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Also, when you say 'fail to detect motion', are you not getting any motion notification? Or are you getting motion notification without the light actually turning on?

SoCalGuy1
Tutor
Tutor

@Sarath_Inampudi Same issue here.  The light send a push notification for the motion, but fails to turn on.  Same deal when I set it up as a rule to turn on when my Pro 2 detects motion.  It will turn on manually though from the app, so the light itself works...

Sarath_Inampudi
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Have you tried checking the Dusk to Dawn Sensor in the Light device settings to adjust ambient light threshold? The Light is designed to conserve battery power when in bright surroundings, so you can modify the threshold according to the install location

SoCalGuy1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @Sarath_Inampudi

The issue was indeed that the light would not function during the day; although there are no "dusk to dawn" settings anywhere that I can find.  The only light settings available are:  

• Duration
  • Color
  • Beam Angle
  • Flash

Also, a good bit of the time the app is unable to get "device Info" for the light under settings, although I can still manually turn on the light from the app.  All devices (5 Pro 2 cameras, Base Station, Bridge and Light) all have current firmware.  A bit frustrating...

Sarath_Inampudi
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

When you go the Device Settings for your Light, look for a '...' symbol on the top right corner of the App screen. Tap that symbol to open the overflow settings, where you should be able to see 'Dusk to Dawn Sensor' option for adjusting the ambient light sensitivity threshold (if your Light has the latest FW 3.2.51)

CGOERLITZ
Initiate
Initiate

Hi @Sarath_Inampudi I Have the same problem. 3 of my 4 lights working as expected. 1 allows me to test motion, manually turn on and off but will NOT turn on via motion. Have reset EVERYTHING to no avail. Suggestions?

SoCalGuy1
Tutor
Tutor

My problem turned out to be the Dusk to Dawn setting set to only activate the light when dark; adjusting that fixed the problem.

Sarath_Inampudi
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Thanks for confirming the issue was related to the Dusk to Dawn setting and resolved by adjusting to appropriate level for your needs.

Sarath_Inampudi
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Each Light has a Dusk to Dawn light sensor that helps to conserve battery power and only turn on (upon motion or automation rule) when sufficiently dark which is the default setting. You can easily adjust this setting to fine tune the brightness threshold at which you want the Light to turn on based on where you've mounted it (see instructions on how to do this via the Arlo App in earlier post). Note that no matter what threshold you set, the Light will always turn on if you activate it manually via the toggle switch.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation