Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Light Bridge on Dual Bank Router

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TkdBob
Follower
Follower

I think I have discovered a bug in the Arlo App in trying to connect the Light Bridge (ABB1000) to a dual band router.

My router is a Surfboard 6900. Both the 2.4 and 5.0 bands use the same network name such that the router can best allocate resources to devices. AP Isolation is disabled.

I am using a Google Pixel2 to configure the bridge. It is running Andoid 9.0 which no longer allows me to change the frequency from 5.0 to 2.4.

When i go thru the the bridge setup with the Arlo App, my Pixel2 connects (bluetooth) to the bridge. I enter the network information and the app chews on it a while and times out saying it could not connect the bridge to the network. But when I review the router's DCHP table, I see the router in fact issued an IP address to the bridge. 

What I think causes the App to fail is that my Pixel2 is using the 5.0 frequency and the app is unable to detect that the router in fact issued the IP address. Other info on the web indicates some older 2.4 devices cause this same issue. The only workaround is to set separate names to the 2.4 and 5.0 frequencies as if they are different networks. This defeats the new thechnolgies in modern routers to go back to what we were doing several years ago. 

Arlo needs to correct its app to allow the 5.0 frequency to set the 2.4 device.

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TkdBob,

Thank you for the feedback, I've escalated this topic to the development team.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation