Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
JimArd
Aspirant
Aspirant
I installed 3 Arlo cameras with no problems and then purchased the Arlo Security Light 3 pack via CostCo mail order. Have now spent hours trying to get the Arlo Bridge/Lights installed without success, despite multiple successful factory resets. I even installed a new router but that made no difference. Both routers have functional 2.4 Ghz bands. I have also tried both iPhone X and Samsung Android devices/Arlo apps to attenpt installation with bluetooth enabled. The Arlo cameras functioned perfectly on both routers in a plug and play manner. Each attempt with bluetooth enabled, I scan the QR code, plug in the bridge and make sure it is blinking amber. After pressing the button for 5 seconds, it blinks blue off and on to sync and allows me to "Connect Bridge to WiFi" by logging on to the network my Arlo Cameras use. Then the "Connecting to WiFi... This could take up to 2 minutes screen appears and the Arlo Bridge subsequently starts blinking purple. After a couple of minutes or longer, the "Your Arlo Bridge could not be discovered" or "Failed to connect to selected WiFi network, please try again" screen with the red triangle appears with "Try Again" and "Try Factory Reset" bars below. I am tired of trying those options which always ultimately end with the just described screen. When I check my network, the Arlo Bridge shows up as ABB1000 "Currently on your network" with the purple light blinking. When I unplug the Arlo Bridge, it goes to "Previously on Your Network". My Arlo Bridge SN: 5631855B138C4 Please provide some professional assistance or send me an Arlo Bridge that can be installed and I will send back this defective unit. Thanks for your assistance. Jim
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JimArd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Checked my Norton Core router and there is no MAC filtering.  While looking at the router settings, noticed that the DNS provider was ISP's DNS (which was providing me good internet access).  The other choices were:

Norton Secure DNS (recommended)

Google DNS

Neustar Advantage

I changed the DNS provider to Norton Secure DNS and also enabled UPnP and then the Arlo Bridge and Lights installed with no problem.  I then disabled UPnP (for security reasons) which didn't affect subsequent operation of the Arlo Bridge and lights.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JimArd,

How far away from your router is the bridge? You might try moving the bridge closer to your router to see if you experience the same results.

For additional troubleshooting, take a look here: I can't set up the Arlo Bridge that came with my Arlo Light Security system; what do I do?

JamesC

JimArd
Aspirant
Aspirant

It was initially plugged in an outlet about 6 inches from the router. Also tried it at about 3 ft, 6 feet and 10 feet away.  Why would it show up on my network and still be blinking purple?  The Arlo base station was about 3 feet away.  Does it connect to that also?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JimArd,

For setup, the bridge doesn't have any interaction with your Arlo Base Station. Blinking purple means the bridge is connected to a WiFi network, but an Internet connection is not available. 

When you are setting this up, are you sure your phones is connected to the same network that you're connected the bridge to?

JamesC

JimArd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used both iPhone X and a Samsung android devices, restarted them and made sure they were connected to my WiFi network and had bluetooth enabled before running the Arlo app to install the Arlo bridge.  Even though I have tried this several times before, I repeated the attempts twice again with each device and performed a factory reset on the Arlo bridge before each attempt.  Also, my WiFi internet is working very well and the cable modem and router were also reset just in case it might help. 

Each attempt with bluetooth enabled, I scan the QR code, plug in the bridge and make sure it is blinking amber. After pressing the button for 5 seconds, it blinks blue off and on to sync and allows me to "Connect Bridge to WiFi" by logging on to the network my Arlo Cameras use. Then the "Connecting to WiFi... This could take up to 2 minutes" screen appears and the Arlo Bridge subsequently starts blinking purple. After a couple of minutes or longer, the "Your Arlo Bridge could not be discovered" or "Failed to connect to selected WiFi network, please try again" screen with the red triangle appears with "Try Again" and "Try Factory Reset" bars below. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JimArd,

Did you check your router for MAC filtering? The Bridge's MAC address will need to be whitelisted before setup can be completed. You can find your Arlo Bridge's MAC address on label of the box that your Arlo Security Light system or add-on Arlo Bridge came in.

JamesC

JimArd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Checked my Norton Core router and there is no MAC filtering.  While looking at the router settings, noticed that the DNS provider was ISP's DNS (which was providing me good internet access).  The other choices were:

Norton Secure DNS (recommended)

Google DNS

Neustar Advantage

I changed the DNS provider to Norton Secure DNS and also enabled UPnP and then the Arlo Bridge and Lights installed with no problem.  I then disabled UPnP (for security reasons) which didn't affect subsequent operation of the Arlo Bridge and lights.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JimArd,

Glad to hear you were able to isolate the issue! Thanks for letting us know what you did to resolve, this may help others in the future!

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation