Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I just bought a 3 camera pack of Ultra 2s and VMB5000 hub for my aunt.  I thought it would be pretty fast with my 6 years of Arlo experience (Android phone).  Well, I got really flummoxed with the Arlo software on her iPhone.  Spent *so* much time looking for settings.  I managed to add myself as admin, but on my phone I couldn't see how to see her cameras.  Or how to adjust any settings.  Where I was really stumped was there were only 3 modes?! 

It got late, so I gave up and told her I'd do some checking.  So today I found about about this new UI with "Feeds" rather than "Library".  Looks like some genius decided nobody needs more than 3 modes.  Yuck.  I routinely use 5 modes for my own cameras.  Not that everyone needs 5 modes, but really, I find these changes shocking.  Must we "dumb down" everything?
Oh, and apparently, the problems I'm having seeing her cameras is because she's on "Feeds" and I'm on "Library".  Well, I'd give them this one since it can be hard to handle the changeover.
But the loss of modes is going to really bother me.

I'm sure this will get me nowhere, but if I drop my subscription, can I manage to stay with "Library" and still get some level of usability?

11 REPLIES 11
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It would be a nice app upgrade if arlo kept the library and custom modes.

Seems the only way this could happen is for customers to complain loudly although I suspect that they use ear plugs now since the EOL debacle.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

can I manage to stay with "Library" and still get some level of usability?

Unfortunately, there is no way to revert your account back to "Library" once you've migrated to "Feed".

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't yet gotten the new app with "Feeds".  But if it is imminent, I may cancel my subscription before it auto-renews next month.  I'm not at all sure I can manage with only 3 modes (one of which is basically "disarmed").

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

I haven't yet gotten the new app with "Feeds".  But if it is imminent, I may cancel my subscription before it auto-renews next month.  I'm not at all sure I can manage with only 3 modes (one of which is basically "disarmed").

No idea if it is imminent or not.

One comment is that you can fully customize all three modes (which gives you a bit more flexibility if you never arm or disarm all the cameras now).  So it's not quite correct to say that Standby is "basically disarmed".

But I do agree that limiting the system to 3 modes was a mistake.  There are several use cases where more modes are needed - one of many common ones is people wanting to arm their front cameras, but disarm the ones in their back yards. 

I have wondered if creating "sub-locations", each of which had three modes would be a way for them to move forward.  These would be like the current "locations", but would all be covered in the same subscription, and would use the same emergency services setup.

arloUser58
Star
Star

Same boat here, have 8 5s 2k's and need additional mode.  I just can't understand why this was dropped.  I am a software developer so speaking from experience.  Some day a better security camera and vendor will come along and then it may be too late for arlo if they don't wake up.

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB 
OK, so your idea of "sub locations" is interesting.  Has anybody tried it yet?  I'm thankfully still on "Library" UI, so I cannot and my sub is coming up for renewal next week.  Seriously considering cancelling until I know this can be worked around in a way that's acceptable to me.

Related, does anybody know if you can cancel a yearly Arlo sub and get a pro-rated refund?  I'm not signing up for a year and then getting stuck with something that won't work for me.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I would suggest using the library app UI version as long as possible or until arlo makes the new UI better to meet your needs. 

It is is important to note that if the new UI was usable that everyone would want to change to it, remember you can’t go back once updated. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

@StephenB 
OK, so your idea of "sub locations" is interesting.  Has anybody tried it yet? 

Arlo would have to implement it.  I haven't gotten any feedback from them either way (I am just another user), so we'll have to see what they do.

Apple_B
Guide
Guide

I fully agree.  The new Arlo secure app is a total disaster!!!  I am dumbfounded as to why the Arlo would implement such a backward piece of   As I’ve said before, Arlo obviously don’t want to sell security cameras any more!!

JohnHMA
Tutor
Tutor

I agree the new UI is a total disaster.  Suggest Arlo return to the old UI ASAP.

I  have a doorbell camera that keeps dropping. When I went to add it back in I received a notice that a software  update was available and was forced to update. Total disaster, and have already spent several hours trying to make the system work again!!!

azguy5050
Tutor
Tutor

Agreed.  And doorbell a total mess.  We took it out and put a ring doorbell in.  Problem solved have NEVER had an issue and now over a year and it’s almost instant when the doorbell rings or you just want to pull it up on your phone.  Zero regrets.