Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Epj007
Follower
Follower

Not sure if I'm even in the right location for this. Can I just say the updated Arlo App absolutely sucks! I have 6 arlo essential wireless cameras. I decided I needed (wanted the new pro 5 s cameras to replace a couple of my existing cameras.) Pretty much that has been my downfall. I have a front door camera that stay's on 24/7 So we can see the dummies that come up and can't read the no soliciting sign. Package support worked great. That said I had all other camera set to come on at dark and go off the next morning. With the new system I am all on or nothing I cant get the schedule to work at all. So currently i have to leave all cameras armed (which sucks as we are in and out at various times of the day).

I can't seem to find a youtube video or any real help on a step by step config using the new App. Also I am unable to get it to bring up the system on my wife's phone so she can check the camera's when she is home. All of this worked perfectly fine on the old app before upgrade. I'm at the point of taking all the pro 5 kit back and taking down the arlo's and looking for some better system.

I pay for a subscription but apparently can talk to a live support person on chat or otherwise 😞 If anyone can point me to a definitive step by step guide to get my old config back in play I would be mostly happy. (orig config. front porch always on period, all other cameras on from say dark to sunup when I'm home. Oh and if anyone knows how to select all and delete all video's at once or turn off animal detection as I get as many as 14 videos over night and sometimes during the day....Having to select each one for viewing and then hitting delete is just plain stupid. Sorry for the long post Can you tell I'm frustrated !

Thanks in advance for any insight

27 REPLIES 27
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Unfortunately arlo has not provided a return path to use the old app.

They are happy for you to struggle with the new update it would seem which means you have no choice anymore.

The article might get you going some of the way.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062797/What-is-new-in-the-Arlo-Secure-App-4-0 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the older app/interface doesn't include the ability to use the new security system and camera (Pro 5), there's no going back. WHile you may not have these and maybe never will, advances must be accommodated. Having multiple versions causes plenty of issues for both users and support.

I agree the new UI is different, takes getting used to and can well be frustrating but it is what it is. A bit of time with it, going through the whole app, reading FAQs as needed, etc. can quickly bring you up to speed. And we all hope changes/updates will improve the overall experience.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Epj007 

I had to setup my devices for a similar schedule. You can use automations to achieve this. You will need to add all the desired cameras to 2 separate automations, 1 Arm Away and 1 Standby. I removed the rules for the cameras I wanted to not capture anything or notify off/standby in the standby Automation and left them all active in an Arm Away automation. Set the times in when you want them active and you should be good to go. 

we are continually enhancing the App and features and the delete functions have been noted. 

Let me know If you need more assistance and I will do my best to help. 

pgs66
Initiate
Initiate

I agree.   The new app makes no sense at all.

Jcapache41
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since I updated to app after the new year it’s absolute. Can’t delete videos. Can’t scroll through videos numerous other issues. It’s annoying 

Chrisemery55
Initiate
Initiate

The new app is awful

Why on earth was it released in this form as it makes no sense

Be warned do not upgrade to Arlo 5 until they fix the app !

rvd67
Guide
Guide

Thanks Arlo apologist. Very condescending and nothing you said is reality. You act like everyone here is are simple minded and just aren't smart enough to understand the new app, when in reality it is the opposite. Most here are in fact plenty smart enough to see the steaming pile of garbage that this new app version is.

This is one of the worst "advancement" backwards I have ever seen from an app and it seems that your Arlo hack developers and corporate hacks could care less. If you can't see the complete loss of functionality and user friendliness from the previous version, then I don't see how you can even be a real user of the product. NO ONE LIKES THE NEW VERSION. IT APPEARS TO BE UNIVERSALLY DETESTED! You have taken our hard earned money spent on your expensive camera products and made them virtually useless with the forced adoption of unuser friendly, less functional, backwards downgrade of an app.      

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

100% the new app experience is heavily flawed.  Geofencing issues, no custom modes, schedule became convoluted when it worked before… The list goes on.  How a company like this can release software without heavily testing is beyond me.  I have decided I will hang on until my annual plan ends but that’s it.   I love the hardware but the software is junk and can’t be relied on.  Unfortunate 🙁

rvd67
Guide
Guide

Agreed. The hardware is great, but the software completely nullifies it to the point of rendering not practical in real life use. We have used Arlo cameras for 6-7 years now and been mostly satisfied until we purchased the latest greatest cameras, which again are really great. But the forced "upgrade" to the new software makes them practically unusable. Besides what you listed, simply viewing videos is painstaking......and isn't that THE main job for the software???

PREVIOUS APP

Large thumbnail listing of videos.

Click video and view larger, then swipe left to go to previous video or swipe right to go to next video. On web, click left arrow to go to next video, click right arrow to go to previous video.

You could zoom in and out on video and expand to full screen.

Easy to see videos with quick simple navigation All Gone!

NEW APP

Small thumbnails that don't reveal much.

Click thumbnail to view video. All navigation has been removed. You cannot view next or previous videos.......and here's where it gets good.

You have no choice but to X out and it takes you back to the TOP of the small thumbnail video list. You have to try and remember the exact time of the video you were viewing then scroll down through the small thumbnails to find the video with that time to then view the next or previous one. Man, that was a pain in the A$$ to even type......imagine having to do that for every video!

Completely unacceptable and it doesn't seem like any response or fix is coming, so I'm trying to figure out an exit strategy that doesn't involve me losing my shirt.

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

100% agree!  I should have moved on to another company but like you we have used them for 6 years and mostly happy until now.  Im only hanging in as I paid for a year so I’m hoping they might fix the app but certainly not holding my breath.  Good thing is the cameras fetch a good price on eBay👍

Kay790
Initiate
Initiate

I just bought Arlo cameras because all the reviews and information on the website went over how customizable it was.  I have been really confused by the lack of functionality and the videos I’ve found have navigation paths and options that do not exist in the app, so this isn’t helpful at all but it’s kinda nice to know that this is an issue that everyone including experienced users are having because of a badly designed app.  Also glad I haven’t paid for a subscription yet, I’m debating just taking the cameras back while they’re still returnable or waiting it out and hoping for a functionality upgrade.

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

The old app worked fine fit me.  I upgraded like you and the new cams work well but the new app sucks.  It’s very frustrating that Arlo refuses to fix this.  They essentially crippled hood hardware with poor software development and don’t care.  Their support liked to contact you and then ghost you too.  🤦‍♂️ 

Miki-011
Guide
Guide

Software dev here with 22y experience, owner of a bunch of Arlo pro 2s and 5s 2k cameras,  subscriber since 2018. New Arlo app is garbage!!!  Impossible to configure individual cameras to turn on at X and off at Y. Same as geofencing.

TOTAL CRAP, FIX THIS ASAP OR GIVE US BACK OLD UI!!

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Someone should just design a 3rd party app to work with these cameras.  I would be happy to pay a reasonable one time fee for something like that,  Arlo obviously does not care at this point.  

Svelle
Tutor
Tutor

Agree the app is a total mess. been arlo owner for 5-6 years upgraded to a Pro 5 2k today camera looks great but the app is so bad.. thinking of returning it now

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I see they have fixed the multiple delete option as reported.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/can-t-delete-multiple-videos-at-once/m-p/1916016#M88119 

Apple_B
Guide
Guide

I vehemently agree and loudly echo all the negative feedback that Arlo users in this discussion have given about the new Arlo secure app.  I say "new" instead of an "upgraded" version because the new app is instead a DOWNGRADE Arlo!   Arlo, you obviously don't want people to buy your products anymore!  I certainly won't be doing so unless you recreate the option of creating multiple combinations of camera arming.   I use IFTTT to couple my cameras with other apps and this only works if I can isolate different cameras at night either when I'm home or asleep and all cameras when I'm not home.  I don't want lights turned on when a camera detects movement triggered by myself in the middle of the day or IFTTT activates a loud phone call on my mobile when I am home!!!  Arlo get your act together please  and stop the cop out "like it or lump it" attitude and saying that's just what it is!! 

Apple_B
Guide
Guide

I agree Chrisemery55, I won't be upgrading to Pro 5 until they fix the app!!!  If that doesn't happen I will be looking for an alternate brand of security cameras!   

clintola1
Tutor
Tutor

I was just on the phone with tech support over an hour only to have him tell me there is a known bug with scheduling individual cameras and Arlo will notify me when it's fixed. Looking through these threads this bug has been present for months. Really irritating because I have 20+ Go 2 cameras designed to be at different locations and I can't set them to separate schedules. The last Go cameras were crap, but the app worked, now the new cameras are great, but the app is crap. I hate everything.

Maerztr
Aspirant
Aspirant

The main problem customers no longer have the ability to watch locally stored video with the new app, what good is a security system if all I can do is get an alert and can’t see what caused it

im getting more and more frustrated with arlo greed!

ive got almost $2,000 invested in equipment that s basically now worthless to me!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Local recordings are viewed in the hub's settings under Storage Settings.

rmdk22
Aspirant
Aspirant

I concur with all the problems described above! I have 14 cameras which I had turning on and off when I desired. Now I am confused +++ and frustrated. It would be nice if Arlo accepted these issues exist and rectified them ASAP, and let owners know via this link how advanced they with fixing them.

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Just upgraded to the new App because I added a new Essential (Gen 2) to my line-up of 14 Arlo cameras.  Here are some of my preliminary thoughts:

(1) Arlo needs to allow custom modes so we can add additional modes.  This alone could bring back lots of the old UI which made it really easy to manage all cameras through geofencing and scheduling.  Without custom modes, you are stuck with three basic set ups.

(2) As an alternative to custom modes, the scheduling feature should allow us to arm and disarm cameras within custom modes during scheduled times.  At the moment, the scheduling feature only allows you to customize four settings of a device (motion sensitivity, audio sensitivity, recording duration and siren settings).  What is missing are two settings that allow you to arm/disarm a device based on the schedule and to change notification settings based on the schedule.  I would have thought that these are the two most useful settings for purposes of scheduling.  Without these settings, you are left to transition between one of the three modes.  By adding these two settings, you may avoid the need for custom modes altogether although I still think you should bring back custom modes!

(3) Mute notifications used to be accessible from the notification window.  Pull down the notification, hit mute, and you get an option for time.  Now it launches you into the app.  Slower UI experience.  Please bring back to the ability to choose the mute time directly from the on-screen notification.

(4) Used to be able to look at your device list and see if there are any new videos that you missed.  There was a number showing next to each device so you could quickly determine if there is a video captured by any of your cameras.  This was removed in the new app.  This was a great visual reminder that a motion was triggered and that there is a video that you have not yet seen on any given camera.  Yes, I know you could just look at the feed, but this was a quicker and better visual.  Please bring this back!

(5) Locations - Used to be able to have multiple locations set up in the app on one subscription. Now to add a location, you need another subscription plan.  This is crazy.  Why does it matter that I have 14 cameras on one unlimited plan at one location or 14 cameras divided into two locations? I have to pay twice the cost for the latter?  Either allow a max of two locations to avoid overuse or introduce a small extra fee to allow for each additional location ($1/month or something reasonable).  To force users to pay for two full subscriptions just because they have a second location is unreasonable.

Those are my preliminary thoughts having used the new app for about 48 hours.

bj427
Initiate
Initiate

It is comforting to realise that it is just not me who is finding the new app a total disaster.  I have a total of 17 cameras of differing ages running across two properties.  It all worked well under the old app and since upgrading to 2 new cameras and being forced to the new app it is a total waste of money.  None of the automations work and repeated conversations with support yields nothing other than "This is a known problem and we are working on it". 

I accept there are teething problems with upgrades but am dismayed at the lack of support on offer from Arlo and their unwillingness to put the money into resolving these issues.