Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

To short recordings - Why?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ubbex
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why do the recordings end already after 9-12 seconds, even though activity is still going on in front of the cameras?

That could mean that you miss a lot of ”good information”, even though a "villain" 😉  continues to break open doors in front of the cameras.

Have I missed any possible settings in the app?

#arlopro2 #arloessential

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ubbex wrote:

Why do the recordings end already after 9-12 seconds, even though activity is still going on in front of the cameras?

"Activity" is determined by the camera, not your eyes. That activity has to be within ~25 feet and mostly across the FOV, not at the camera. The PIR sensors can't detect outside of those parameters although you can increase motion sensitivity in your modes and rules to see if that helps. Repositioning the cameras to be closer and/or have more motion across the FOV may also help.

In many cases, it works out better to use timed recordings rather "until motion stops".

Ubbex
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer,

What I find strange is that I have 6 Arlo cameras, of two different types, that behave exactly the same.

The cameras are located at several different heights, just a few meters from the activity in progress.

Myself, an animal, or any other person or movement can stand and move around right in front of the cameras, in the center of the image and within the areas where I set my activity zones. The sensitivity for detecting movement and size of objects is set to "high sensitivity".

I don't have a problem with the cameras not recording constantly, or for several minutes. But longer than just 6, 9, 12 seconds I would like to be able to see/choose.

And as I said, I haven't seen if there is any way to choose the recording time yourself , e.g. a minimum number of seconds on a specific camera. That would be perfect for me.

(15 minutes ago there were 4 red deer eating in front of one of the cameras. That camera had not started recording immediately when they entered the picture, but then only recorded for 7 seconds and stopped recording long before they wandered out of the picture….. Maybe because they were animals, and not criminals. 😁)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The easy way to set the recording time is in each camera's settings, under Default Mode Settings. Choose Record length and set as desired. The other way is in the modes and rules for each camera where yoo would edit each rule and Add An Action, choosing Customize Device. It takes several steps starting with choosing a camera and ultimately choosing Recording Duration.

These settings would affect both deer and criminals...  🙂

Ubbex
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip! 👍🏽

Then I'll get into the app again and see why I missed this. 🙂 Only need to translate the menu selections etc. into Swedish first, 😉  so I orient myself to the right places in the app. Sometimes things are named a little differently. 😄