Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Still no "new Arlo security experience is here" message?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
chris_ell01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking at this Arlo Support page, the "new and improved" Arlo Secure 4.0 App has been rolling out for a year but I still have not been able to upgrade to the new App. I purchased a new house and need to add cameras at both locations (until the older house is sold - so its only a temporary need). But from what I can find, the only way to do it (without making a second account) is to use Locations, which aren't available in the older App experience. 

I've spent several hours trying to get stuff working only to find out that it cant be done unless I upgrade to the new App experience, or create a second account. 
I work in technology and don't understand how rolling out a new App version can take over a year. If it is really taking this long, how can there not be any updates on expected dates for availability?
I have over $1200 worth of cameras at my new house that are sitting unused because Arlo doesn't know how to roll out a new experience.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have two basestations (one for each location), the older one is a VMB4000 with Arlo Pro4 cameras. The newer cameras are FB1001s and VMC4060s with a VMB5000 base, so everything should be compatible. 

If there is a workaround for two locations and one account, can someone please point me that way, because I cant find it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chris_ell01 wrote:

I work in technology and don't understand how rolling out a new App version can take over a year. If it is really taking this long, how can there not be any updates on expected dates for availability?

I'm sure Arlo is very frustrated on the timing also.  But the migration didn't go well, and they are still working on solving the issues.

You can migrate your account to "Feed" (the new experience) by going to "add device" and starting to add a Pro 5s camera to the account.  You can't complete the process (unless you have the camera), but the workflow will migrate the account to the "new experience".

You will be unable to revert back to the old experience ("Library") once you've done this.  One significant limitation is that there are no custom modes with the new experience.  Several folks here say they've also had problems getting scheduling to work, and the new automations aren't adequately explained.

Be aware that you will need one subscription per location.  The Arlo terms of service always required this, but in practice the old app experience didn't implement the restriction.  The new one does.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chris_ell01 wrote:

I'm sure Arlo is very frustrated on the timing also.  But the migration didn't go well, and they are still working on solving the issues.

You can migrate your account to "Feed" (the new experience) by going to "add device" and starting to add a Pro 5s camera to the account.  You can't complete the process (unless you have the camera), but the workflow will migrate the account to the "new experience".

You will be unable to revert back to the old experience ("Library") once you've done this.  One significant limitation is that there are no custom modes with the new experience.  Several folks here say they've also had problems getting scheduling to work, and the new automations aren't adequately explained.

Be aware that you will need one subscription per location.  The Arlo terms of service always required this, but in practice the old app experience didn't implement the restriction.  The new one does.

chris_ell01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for explaining how to do this. I couldn't find it anywhere else. This was exactly the info I needed. Have a great holiday!