Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shared user can no longer can change mode

Discussion stats
MissCourts
Guide
Guide

Hey all, my partner and I recently purchased new Arlo cameras and got them all set up, I was invited onto his account and was great as when he is away I could arm the cameras etc etc. I updated the app this morning and now I can no longer change the mode from the app. This is a big let down as my partner is away a bit so being able to do it myself was a big draw. Is this a glitch or the new normal?

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the continued feedback. The fix for this issue will be available in the next version of the Arlo Secure mobile app. As a temporary workaround, you can use the Web Portal at My.Arlo.com or an Android device to adjust the modes. 

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I spoke with members of the development team and they are aware that this issue is impacting some users. A fix is currently being tested and will be rolled out in a new version  of the Arlo Secure mobile app. I will provide more information as soon as I it becomes available.

JamesC

101 REPLIES 101
-RonB-
Guide
Guide

I trust what you are saying JamesC, but me and apparently many others are having the issue. When operating in our shared account, my wife cannot change modes....nothing happens when she presses the buttons (they are greyed out).  As I reported early, her iPhone show 2 accounts:  our shared account which allows her to view all cameras , feeds, etc.  And, the account Arlo required her to setup to accept the access I granted.  In her account (which has no cameras) she can change modes....but it's a bogus account with nothing present.

Patmat439
Star
Star

We opened a support ticket with Arlo and we’re told that this functionality was purposefully removed with a recent update to the application.  I can’t understand the reasoning for this change.  I get it for restricted users, but admin users should be able to arm/disarm a device.  Their workaround was to have me share credentials with my wife when I’m away for work so she can arm/disarm devices.  That’s not an acceptable answer as I would be logged out each time she logs in.  Again, ARLO, please return this function to end users.

AZh
Star
Star

@Patmat439 Wow, this does not make any sense. How can I file a support ticket? Maybe if enough people complain, they will return this functionality.

@JamesC you mentioned that this functionality works for you on the latest app version. This contradicts what @Patmat439 was told in response to his ticket. Can you please check and confirm whether this functionality is still supposed to work?

Patmat439
Star
Star

You can open a ticket through the support center right in the app.  Simply click on your profile and you’ll see it. @AZh 

AZh
Star
Star

Thank you @Patmat439 

arloUser58
Star
Star

Let me chime in here.  Version 4.6.1 breaks this feature.  I was experiencing the exact same issue.  I’m on 4.6.1 and could not change modes on shared account.  My wife is on the shared account and she can change the modes on my account which is shared to her.  She was on 4.5.1.  Support asked if we could update her phone to 4.6.1 so we did and son of gun she can no longer change modes either in a shared account.  Support tells me they are aware of it.  So nothing else we can do until they fix this.  We are very unhappy about this because our 6 years with this brand have thought us it takes  months to fix issues if they ever get fixed.  Arlo this is a big deal and not what we pay a subscription for, in our case two subscriptions so please fix it.  We users know how to enable the sharing feature and have been using it for years.  It is broken and 4.6 or 4.6.1 broke it.

Jette-Marie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,
Suddenly it is no longer possible for me to activate the

icon "out of house" on the app on my mobile Phone.

The icon "stand by" is activated, and none og the other two icons respons - they are like dead. What do I do?🤔

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Out of house"? Do you mean Arm Away?

I'd start by rebooting the phone and reinstall the app.

Patmat439
Star
Star

Hello,

I believe this is the same issue that is being discussed in this thread.  

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Secure/Shared-user-can-no-longer-can-change-mode/td-p/1919899

Patmat439
Star
Star

I'm hoping Arlo support will take note that this is an issue and revert this change as soon as possible.  While I am very pleased with my camera system overall, this stops me from recommending the system as a viable solution for multiple users.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I spoke with members of the development team and they are aware that this issue is impacting some users. A fix is currently being tested and will be rolled out in a new version  of the Arlo Secure mobile app. I will provide more information as soon as I it becomes available.

JamesC

-RonB-
Guide
Guide

Great!  Please let us know when the new release is available 

AZh
Star
Star

Great. Thank you very much @JamesC for following up on this. Pleas le us know when the new version is available.

Bloft
Initiate
Initiate

Yes. This is a recent bug, as both users were able to arm/disarm using phone app

benjaminmiles
Tutor
Tutor

I got really excited when I saw another Arlo app update yesterday. But instead of a fix I just got hit with an ad to purchase a subscription (even though I just paid for a year of Arlo safe and secure). We had Arlo first gen at our old home and we just spent over $2K setting up the latest Arlo gizmos at our new home, only to find out that my wife can't change modes any longer. On top of that, it continues to trigger the "Away" mode when I leave even though her phone is included in the "everyone" geofencing, so now panic mode keeps going off, freaking the dog and her out, and she has no way to disarm it without using the physical keypad, which disables it, only to have it go right off again... so now I just leave the thing mostly disarmed which is useless for what we are paying for.

Come on Arlo, you're better than this. I really don't want to regret all the time and money I've spent with you. I know bugs happen, but this is beyond frustrating. Please fix!

ArloFrustrati0n
Initiate
Initiate

We are also experiencing this same issue - my shared account with admin "access rights" seems to have all of the admin rights available EXCEPT changing mode between "arm away," "arm home," and "standby" on the dashboard. We're both using app version 4.6.2 (6478) on iOS. Having admin accounts unable to change modes is also a deal breaker for us. This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

Casper_NL
Guide
Guide

Hello from the Netherlands,

I and my partner are experiencing the same problem: my partner has admin rights and “Allow Access Rights” is turned on. 

But, since about 3 weeks or so it is no longer possible for my partner to change modes (usually we switch between “Arm away” and “Standby”).

Previously my partner could also change modes. It is very annoying that my partner can no longer change modes, because we leave the house at different moments and come back at different times. Both of us want to be able to change modes.

My partner uses an iPhone and has Arlo app version 4.6.2 (6478), released on July 15

Looking forward to a solution.

Thanks in advance.

mrterrycook
Guide
Guide

My wife lost the ability to change the Mode this morning. She has admin rights. She updated the iOS app to 4.6.2. I am still on 4.5 and will NOT update until this is fixed. Very disappointing situation created by the Arlo mis-development team. This functionality is CRITICAL for proper management of the system among users that share a location! 

Dinfinite
Initiate
Initiate

This just happened to me today as well. I am no longer able to use my personal account to arm/disarm my business cameras. This is pretty obnoxious and I (along with many others it seems) would like a fix ASAP. Thank you. 

ScottDeacs
Initiate
Initiate

Any update from anyone on the fix timeline?

PCFK
Guide
Guide

Hello,

Did you find out any solutions to this?

This has suddenly happened to us today ☹️

My husband can arm/disarm but all of a sudden the icons on my phone (shared user) are greyed out.

What is going on with arlo and i wonder why there are no solutions posted by them?

Casper_NL
Guide
Guide

The last post from Arlo in this thread was from July 13, where Arlo Community Manager JamesC says that the Arlo development team is testing a fix for this issue. It used to work until a few weeks ago, so Arlo knows how to do make this work. I hope there will be some positive news soon. Personally, I think 11 days for a fix is quite a long period, especially because they already had it working.

Patmat439
Star
Star

I imagine that there is some change control process in place at ARLO where fixes are rolled through a development domain or two before they are brought live for end users.  I'm not sure what there timeline is for repair this, but I agree that the sooner this happens the better.  It would be great if our Arlo representatives that monitor this forum could give us an update!

PCFK
Guide
Guide

Hello Casper_NL and Patmat439, and thank you for your responses. Yes, it would be courteous and professional of Arlo to disseminate an update about this. We’ve had Arlo cameras for years now and have recommended their cameras to many people, and this is very disappointing, especially now looking through these comments and seeing the length of time this has been happening.

Arlo need to give it’s users an update. It’s very poor form, especially when they’re taking our subscription money, without a full working service and without informing us of updates.

Please update us Arlo. I’d venture to say you will lose a lot of customers, if this is not rectified.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I do not have any information currently on the release date for this fix but I can confirm a fix will be available in an updated version of the Arlo Secure mobile app. I will provide more information as it becomes available.

JamesC