Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Sandisk Extreme Plus 256GB micro SDXC UHS-I not formatting

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
allenw314
Aspirant
Aspirant

When initially attempting to format my 256GB SD card using the base, I kept getting a message format failed.  After many troubleshooting attempts, I used an old 4GB card and that worked.   So, I know it is not the base.  The 256GB card is new and recognized by my computer.  I notice the card was exFAT.  I used a 3rd party program (I searched "free partition"), and formatted the 256GB card as FAT32 (32K clusters).  By default, the 256GB card is exFAT which is unsupported by ARLO.  Still, the base would not recognize the 256GB card.   I read in this forum that many people are using 256GB cards, but how.  I deleted my device and started over from the beginning.  I installed using my computer and after discovering the base and 2 cameras, the install prompted me for a "monthly service plan" so I hit the "back" link because I do not want an online plan.  That was one reason I liked ARLO.  I went into my devices, activated local storage and the card was recognized.

I read in another post on another website that if you activate a "monthly service plan" during the initial setup, you can have problems with local storage.  It was a system with older cameras and the person added an Ultra 2 camera.    

I hope this post helps you after spending 4 hours of research and troubleshooting.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@allenw314 wrote:

I read in another post on another website that if you activate a "monthly service plan" during the initial setup, you can have problems with local storage. 

Not in my experience. I have a subscription, and a mix of cameras (including 2 pro 2s).  Local storage is working for me.