Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Not capturing events if not on smart notification

kenzoc
Star
Star

As of August 28th my cameras no longer capture any recordings for events which are not apart of my smart notification settings. As an example, my cameras used to always record my dogs in the backyard and properly tag them as animals without notifying me, now I have found these events are not being recorded and is impacting all my cameras as of August 28th. If I do turn on smart notifications for animals they are now again recording but of course sending me a push notification which I don't want.

I work in technology and can tell you this is a back end issue or firmware issue (before you tell me to reset or whatever garbage suggestion Arlo support has). 

The complete lack of QA on this product is insane, fix it. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

After further investigation, the development team has identified the cause behind some users continuing to see missing video clips when smart notifications for specific events are toggled off. We will be releasing a cloud side fix later this week to address these concerns.

We appreciate your patience and feedback while we work to resolve these issues. I will provide another update once we have more information available to share

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I realize there is a lot of confusion in this thread due to the recent changes we rolled out. I apologize for all the frustration this has caused. Currently, we've rolled back the changes but we're continuing to investigate reports from users about a few unexpected behaviors they are still experiencing.

1.) Video clip deletion when smart toggles are turned off. This results in recordings not arriving in the library or feed when the smart classification toggle is turned off (for example, Vehicles are turned off, resulting in no notification or recording). This change was rolled back but some users are reporting they are still experiencing this behavior. The development team is actively investigating these reports. The intent after we rolled back the changes is for all event recording to be saved to the library/feed regardless of your Smart Alert and Smart Detection toggles (unless the motion is outside of a defined Activity Zone in which case it will be discarded as expected).

2.) When all motion or all other motion is turned on but smart notification toggles are turned off, clips for these events are arriving as expected in the library/feed but they don't have a classification label, whereas previously they would still have a vehicle label even if vehicle notifications was turned off for example.

3.) In the latest version of the Arlo app, there is confusing verbiage in the Smart Notifications toggle area that states recordings will be suppressed when the toggles are turned off. This is the change that was rolled back and this is being updated in a new version of the app that will be released soon.

The development team is working hard to revert these changes to the previous expected behaviors, I will provide more information as soon as I can.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We’re reverting the recent changes to the Smart Notifications settings to their previous state, which only suppressed push notifications.

Thank you for the feedback you’ve shared in the community. We’ll provide further details about this feature as soon as we can.

JamesC

223 REPLIES 223
Jeff-SJ
Star
Star

🙂

I have had 3 similar messages to update case and that they have been trying to reach me by phone - no incoming calls here.    *sigh*

I had 2 separate intrusions last night - thank goodness for the person detection, but is would have been more comforting to review all cameras for motion just in case.   

Still no non-smart videos being recorded.

fenton11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here about the case I opened. I’m starting to think Arlo is blowing smoke up our you know what in this forum saying the changes have been reversed since tech support is saying the cameras are working as intended. 

Curt2698
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ya I think the change was really made to save server space. They are either completely incompetent or not being honest because it's been waaaayyyy too long for a simple app update. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@fenton11 wrote:

since tech support is saying the cameras are working as intended. 

FWIW, tech support often seems to get news of changes later than they should.

fenton11
Apprentice
Apprentice

I sent them a link to this forum posting to let them know about the issue so obliviously the left hand aint talking to the right hand.  I also asked them to provide me a credit for the subscription since we’re getting screwed. We shall see what they say. 

Tahollins
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cameras are recording at all.

shawnharrison
Initiate
Initiate

I am having this problem too. My wifi camera is not recording unless I have the People, Vehicle, Animal and/or Motion Notifications turned on. I live on a busy street, I do not want a notification on my phone everytime a car drives by. I do want a recording of each event so I can review if something happens.

If this is how this will work from now on, I am considering throwing them out and getting cameras from another company.

Curt2698
Apprentice
Apprentice

My guess is they are not reverting. ARLO has gone quiet on this thread. I think they messed up their app and don't have the knowledge or capacity to fix it.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

I agree. There's something bigger going on and it turned into a disaster. Nothing got reversed yet, it's just a lie to shut us up. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After further investigation, the development team has identified the cause behind some users continuing to see missing video clips when smart notifications for specific events are toggled off. We will be releasing a cloud side fix later this week to address these concerns.

We appreciate your patience and feedback while we work to resolve these issues. I will provide another update once we have more information available to share

Curt2698
Apprentice
Apprentice
  • @JamesC so you say some? Can you be more specific? I will be ordering cams Wednesday from a new provider. I honestly am no longer patient. I won't call your tech line anymore as they just keep going through their script. They know nothing. 
Nandha
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4540 I'm not receiving video clips
  •  Form arlo essential or from by home secured system 
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the camera connected to your WiFi or to the hub? The hub can only record videos that are from cameras that are connected to it.

fenton11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Woke up this morning and to my surprise noticed 3 video recordings of vehicles which I have smart notifications off for. I think the problem has been corrected?  I use pro3s with hub 4540.   First recording was at 12:29 am Hawaii Standard Time. 

ssilence
Aspirant
Aspirant

As best I can tell, mine are back to working correctly again.

dgoldg
Star
Star

At first glance, it appears mine have been fixed as well, Tuesday 9/17  12;17 Pacific Time 

Curt2698
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine seems fixed too. Thank Jesus as I had 1k of cams in a cart ready to buy somewhere else when i saw this. I will hang in with ARLO a while longer.

Nandha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes It is Connected.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team has completed a cloud release resolving the issues some users experienced with suppressed recordings from Smart Detection settings.

With this release, all recordings should be visible in the library/feed regardless of the selections made with Smart Detection toggles unless the event takes place outside of a user defined Activity Zone.

Bart99122
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 1 camera that will not record unless notifications are turned on now. All of the others are working as expected 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC 
Just saw your post from 1:07 PM about the completed cloud release so I decided to check things out and found that I can login to the app just fine but when I go to the web portal to login all I get is the white page with the Arlo logo in the middle...no place to login or do anything else.

Note that this seems to only be with Edge...Chrome works just fine. I use Edge since Chrome won't play 4K videos.

I also notice that in the app it no longer shows the 2K label when live streaming...only the 4K (to be honest I'm not sure if I ever noticed any 2K labels)

Screenshot 2024-09-17 192706.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KachinaShadow wrote:

I use Edge since Chrome won't play 4K videos.

Actually Chrome will play it if you have a PC with HEVC hardware acceleration.  FireFox won't.

How old is the PC? Intel and AMD chipsets that are capable of HEVC playback were launched back in 2016 (7th generation processors).

Did you try clearing the browser cache?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I assume you mean it's connected to the hub but you didn't specify that.

In the app's settings for the hub, is local storage enabled? If so can you format the drive via the app? What size is the drive - it must be at least 16GB?

Nandha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it is 128 GB and it shows as utilized as 96 KB only